need help with trey ceilings

winterdd

i cannot figure out the polyline/cabinet top command to make tray ceilings. currently, the plan file has 10' ceilings throughout. the master bedroom and living room have the tray ceilings i am trying to build. double trays, 6" thick each i'm thinking. the magenta polyline shows the boundaries. can anyone school me? see attached...i left the working plan on showing everything.

jimmy_g.plan

16 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

My method is a little different, I just draw room dividers where I want the tray creating a square room inside the actual room, select the new room and raise its ceiling height. Seems the easiest to me.

I use that method as well, but only very rarely because it can wreak havoc on all sorts of other things. 

• Upvote 1

so what if the house is like my home i live in. the typical ceiling elevation is 9' ceilings. my trays bump upwards into the attic therefore leaving every ceiling at 9'. i noticed on this demo video the trays push downward when i do what you taught. would it be -12" and -6" intervals? thanks rene

4 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

so what if the house is like my home i live in. the typical ceiling elevation is 9' ceilings. my trays bump upwards into the attic therefore leaving every ceiling at 9'. i noticed on this demo video the trays push downward when i do what you taught. would it be -12" and -6" intervals? thanks rene

For that I think Chris’s method might work better......  maybe....   you can also think about creating a room on the level above and adjust ceilin heights as need.  ( it would be an open t9 below room)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Then you cut a hole in the ceiling plane and add a flat ceiling plane at the height you want.

Tray clg.jpg

• Upvote 2

It really depends on the specifics of the project but the methods Joey, Scott, and Chris have mentioned are all good options.  In addition, you can also remove the ceiling from the the room definition entirely and then use custom ceiling planes or any other desired object to build your ceilings with.  Lots and lots of options and they can be combined in various ways as well, so there are probably 20 different methods.  Again, it really depends on the specifics (construction methods, 3D display requirements, CD requirements, whether you need framing or not, how you use room labels/macros/material lists, etc.).  

I find that the easiest way to create a "coffered" ceiling is to make a ceiling hole Put a moulding around it, which consists of a cornice with an upstand attached to give the correct height of the coffer, then add a ceiling plane over the top. I added some of these cornices, with upstands, to the forum for sharing items at the end of last week. The cornices are to Australian shapes, but may be useful, and it is a very easy way to add ceiling coffers that gives good 3D presentation.

• Upvote 2