SIPs as Floor Framing?

Joe_Carrick

Floor Structure using SIPs  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How would you model an SIP Floor Structure?

• Define the Floor Structure to include the SIPs (3/4" OSB Sheathing, 11-1/4" Insulation, 7/16" OSB)
    • Include the SIPs as a part of the Floor Finish Layers & limit the Floor Structure to just Beams

I voted for floor structure with the assumption that the beams wont necessarily fit Chief's automatic spacing and you'll likely manually place them.

If the beams will work auto framed I'd go with door number 2.

25 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

voted for floor structure, too many potential probs putting into the finish IMO. will you be incorporating your joists into the panels or a girder system under?

I will be incorporating the joists into the SIPs.  Walls and Girders below supporting the panels.  The maximum span I have is 16'.  The problem I have is that the 2x12 splines at the edge of the panels don't show up in the framing.  I guess I'll just have to add those elements manually.  I'm considering just modeling a full panel and placing them without building the Floor Framing.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

2x12 splines at the edge of the panels don't show up in the framing.  I guess I'll just have to add those elements manually.  I'm considering just modeling a full panel and placing them without building the Floor Framing.

You seem to be the only other person I have run into out here that is utilizing SIPs in your designs as much as, actually even more than I am. I have found that I have to customize every element of the SIP's panels whether for flooring or walls/roofs and the program seems to fight me every step of the way. I am following the "Builders Guide  to Structured Insulated Panels (SIPs) for all Climates" by Joe L Stiburek for all my details including CAD and custom materials. If a solution to this problem is found please let me know since I am dealing with similar issues.

Thanks

Best

a