Working on the NPF project (now the exterior) modeling the as-built it has 5 single dormers with barrel roofs.  I didn't have any problem building the dormer walls and roof openings, and I followed the KB 0049 ( I think to the "T") but the walls will not generate through the roof openings.  Not having the expertise of each of you, all I've known to do is look for similar threads on CT, as usual my search didn't yield anything helpful. 

Everything seemed to be going too easy so I figured I'm missing a step somewhere.  I did uncheck make a shaft as these dormers are in the attic and have no actual walls except those above the roof. Help appreciated.

Orphanos Foundation Renovations option 1.zip

Dormers with Barrel roof.png

Dormers Orphanos.png

57 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

You need to clean up dormers. 2019-07-09_14-00-31.thumb.png.adb6b352df8c9f52b6582e726a438c7f.png

Orphanos Foundation Renovations shane.zip

Shane, your response is pretty cut-n-dry, however; I am trying to clean up the dormers, thus the reason I posted this thread, Knowing how to clean them up is the issue. Perhaps you missed the issue I described, which is the walls are not generating.

Your fix is nice (though the end result is not what I am after) but when I open your plan, first it appears that the sky light holes are drawn to the inside of the walls created to outline the dormer roof hole?  Does that make a difference?  I tried that earlier and the walls still did not generate. but according to the KB I used the Skylight hole it appears to be to the outside perimeter of the walls which is the way I've drawn it. 

Now the KB is apparently for some other version of CA (as far as I can determine not X11) since the tools in the KB are not the same as mine in X11; but I did follow it.

Also, I watched a Training video (which again the only one I could find is for X8, not X11) and the tools and use of same, aren't the same from X8 to X11, so I followed it as close as possible but still get the same results. The walls of the Dormers will not generate the way they are said to do in both the KB and Training Vid?  I did a cross section camera and attempted pull the walls up through the roof, however; even though the walls show in the floor plan ( I used exterior walls per the Knowledge Base KB - 00449) they do not show in the cross section for me to drag them up. But, thanks for your help anyway! I still gave you a point (P:S) I am still researching and experimenting attempting to find the solution on my own, in fact I've wasted the last hour and half doing so. 

(EDIT) I keep trying to select your walls on the second floor, but I can't select them to open the dbx?  It appears the  dormer walls are on the third floor (attic) but I built mine on the second floor per the KB and Training Vid? They show up in blue on the third floor, but I can't select them there either?  I haven't attempted that in my plan yet just wondering did you draw them on the second floor, and if that is the reason my walls are not generating through the opening?

All the blue walls were not needed and stopping you from adding a floating dormer. I deleted blue walls on 3rd floor and you had some walls in attic that stopped center dormer from generating. I believe you tried using the auto dormer tool that is where holes in roof came from. I did not draw any walls, deletes and auto floating dormer. Explode dormer and you can move stuff, but be careful. When I said "clean up dormers" I was referring to wrong colors or materials.

2019-07-09_15-41-15.png

50 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

All your walls on 3rd floor are attic and no room definition. Change all of that too.

Shane, the walls on the 3RD floor are required to build the "Federal Style" walls you see on each end (but that's another thread that I had a bunch of help from especially Steve Nestor) so I won't be deleting them. 

59 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

All the blue walls were not needed and stopping you from adding a floating dormer. I deleted blue walls on 3rd floor and you had some walls in attic that stopped center dormer from generating. I believe you tried using the auto dormer tool that is where holes in roof came from. I did not draw any walls, deletes and auto floating dormer. Explode dormer and you can move stuff, but be careful. When I said "clean up dormers" I was referring to wrong colors or materials.

2019-07-09_15-41-15.png

Also I didn't use auto dormer or floating dormer I used the Manual dormer tool (we get scolded by the guru's when we don't attempt at least to use the KB's and Vids) in the KB-00449 as well as the Vid. I created the holes in the roof (again Per the KB) based on using the Sky light tool.  I couldn't figure your plan out so I continued working on mine and here is where I am at this point. (Not that I'll get any kudo or points) but I copied my walls from floor 2 and did a cntrl+Alt+V on the third floor. Then I dragged the walls to the height I needed, then I placed a roof plane (on the third floor) opened it zero'd out the pitch, locked the ridge, experimented with the pitch (selected curved roof). Now my issue is closing the gable on the curved eve, as well as the window on the existing Dormers have radius'd tops and are tight up into the eave. I'll tackle that if I ever figure out how to get a radius on top of the eave wall.  And I been attempting to watch the Vid's and read the KB on joining a curved roof plane to a pitched roof.  If I ever figure these things out then I'll gong on to the other remaining dormers.  Again, thanks for trying to help me. 

Orphanos Foundation Renovations option 1.zip

Dormer with Barrel Roof 1.png

Dormer with Barrel Roof 2 - Window up in eave.png

Dormer with Barrel Roof.png

So, while I'm sure this is all wrong, I continue to experiment with my dormer issue.  I was able to place all five, by using the first one I copied the walls from the second floor (again, the walls for the manual dormer where drawn on floor 2 because that's where the KB said draw them.  I then did a transform replicate for each additional dormer by copying (shift drag marque) around the dormer on the third floor, and placing them.  Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the dormer wall with the window in it, up into the arch of the eave so I just dragged it until it fit.  I had to adjust the radius (Pitch as it is called) in the Curved Roof DBX until the two radius' matched. I'd rather have points for using the correct tools the correct way, but after several hours of attempting doing it the right way, I did as Ole Frank Sinatra sang...…………."my way"

Which I'm pretty sure is probably the wrong way.  Now to try and figure out how to joint the curved roof of each dormer with the main roof?!?!?

Dormers all 5.png