Schedule of Details

robdyck

Does anyone have some decent ideas to keep track of details? I'm working on a large home that has over 40 details. If I decide that a particular detail, let's say it's #5, is redundant or not required, that means I've got 35 details and their callouts to renumber????? 

I've been calling out details from the cross sections in layout, specifically so I don't have to open each section view (which is so tedious) in order to place callouts. But there's no schedule tool in layout to make any sort of auto-numbering system. And no linking system from the callout to the detail camera (I like to keep them live) or to the CAD detail (which I use for less dynamic details).

This is as bad or worse than the issues one runs into when using room numbers.

Surely there is some system within Chief for actual architectural plans? 

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

Does anyone have some decent ideas to keep track of details?

On X-11 now I use notes and a note schedule.

There are a ton of different ways to do this, I personally use a method that most people won't adopt, as I find that most people place their details in CAD detail management.

You can renumber your details whenever you delete a redundant one. You can even draw an invisible arrow from the note to the CAD detail to have the note populate the CAD details name in the text field.

I personally number my sheets with a note/schedule so that all of my details auto number and auto page.

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

now I use notes and a note schedule

I thought about that. I guess part of my problem is that theres so little function in layout and I try to keep section details to reference general cross sections. 

Ideally, note schedules would be available in layout as well. Or custom fields for layout boxes. 

To me it seems that each layout box needs to be able to have custom fields. And the ability to make a schedule of them.

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I thought about that. I guess part of my problem is that theres so little function in layout and I try to keep section details to reference general cross sections. 

Ideally, note schedules would be available in layout as well. Or custom fields for layout boxes. 

To me it seems that each layout box needs to be able to have custom fields. And the ability to make a schedule of them.

I'd have to ask you a slew of questions about your workflow and how you do your CD's...maybe post a complete plan and layout file and I could better suggest.

heres a short vid I made, having audio problems, excuse the audio:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I'd have to ask you a slew of questions about your workflow and how you do your CD's

Yes you would! Thanks for the video explanation. I appreciate the effort you put into a response. Of course, I have my drawing workflow structured quite different and possibly it's not the correct format for Chief. I'll try to briefly explain.

I have all my section cameras (that will show up in the CD) displayed as callouts and placed on their own layer. In layout, I've used a detail callout to highlight all the locations that I felt details would be required. I did this because it's simple, meaning I can see multiple sections at one time, and I can flip pages instead of opening new cameras and dealing with a model rebuild. Also, this home is very complex, and while there's different ways to organize details, I chose to organize details based on order of appearance in the final CD. I felt that would be simplest for reading the plan. Here's a screenshot of a layout page ( and a closeup) of cross sections with my detail callouts in blue (they get turned to black at completion). 

image.thumb.png.021c0e253ff37e7833b545ca5f311177.pngimage.thumb.png.01260ab6e8ab324e9940041764d48fea.png

All my sections are cameras, not CAD, sent as plotlines with color fill. 

My details are generally speaking, clipped section cameras, in the same location (plan view) as the section camera. The detail cameras are on their own layer and won't show up in plan view on CD's. In the detail camera, I may include more than one detail. Here's a plan view example, and a screenshot of that detail camera opened. It contains 3 separate details; 1 at each junction.

image.thumb.png.0653b6c591542b5f0d2d6e215e31a6a0.pngimage.thumb.png.f0492337a2b37fda5d201a8b8a7987b3.png

And here's a screenshot of 1 of my layout pages of details. I send that detail camera to layout 3 times, and name the layout box. The numbers on my layout page are part of a template that allows for 12 details per page. I currently have 4 pages of details and I'd like to include an index of details that indicates its drawing #, page #, and reference drawing #. In my layout template, if I decide to omit the drawing that is in position 10, then I'd reposition the other drawings to fill that new, empty space. This is where it gets annoying working with layout. To my mind, it seems I need to be able to classify my layout boxes, and make schedules of them.

image.thumb.png.22e77fe1da2de8b4ba1fab6cc44c9bfa.png

Long story short, I understand the concept of specific note types and I use it to cover other 'limitations' (which I should post in a separate topic). I'll see if I can sort out a system using the notes. And, sorry if the screenshots are annoyingly blurry.