Data Folder & System Lib Database

RobUSMC

I have two PCs in the same office and I want to keep them both having the same libraries and data.   Is it ok to set both PC pointing to the same Data Folder and Library Database Folder?

Thanks

I'm asking because I have set both PCs to the same Data and library folder on a shared drive.  When I open a new plan on the new PC and open the library browser it starts running a process stating Cashing directory.   See attached video.  This has been running for about an hour.  I may just need to let it go and do whatever it need to do.   

36 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

It was still running this morning and seemed to be stuck in a loop

Running the data folder on a cloud sync is very problematic for a number of reasons...I would advise against it. You can however point your toolbars to the same folder as well as hotkeys etc..using the same methods for syncing libraries. Check my symbols and content thread in my sig...I go over a method for syncing libraries that a few people have had success with in an office environment.

35 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I use Dropbox for the Chief Data Folder.

Each compute has it's own Dropbox Folder linked to the Cloud Dropbox Folder.  It works fine for me, keeping all libraries, etc synched.

15 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Thanks.  We use Google Drive.   Spoke to tech support this morning and got it worked out.

Keep in mind if you aren't using the method that I illustrate it can be very easy for one system to try to write to a folder at the same time as another system causing authoring issues. This can happen in a number of different ways...sync delay, sync errors can cause the user library not to sync at close of the program, then when you open your CA on the other machine it will use the previous library build causing you to lose your work or have conflicting and different copies of a library database.

It won't matter if you are using different cloud folders so long as you are trying to sync the same library across two machines.

Machine A needs CA to be shut down and the user library completely uploaded and confirmed in your cloud sync before you open machine B's CA. This can be very time consuming if you have a library that is over a gig on a slow connection...If for some reason you have a sync issue then Machine B will sometimes see a user library as locked and save its user library as "user library_machineB.calib"...making it unusable at next boot since CA will only look for "user library", and so you've lost your work.

If the shared drive is a network drive you may find useful information here.

offline folders sync

Note toward the end they mention their own (Aomi, which was included with my WD mycloud but have not needed so can't say if any God. ) additional software which has extra features to avoid conflicts. Worth a look.  

• 2 weeks later...