Fantastic New Solution Found! Re: How Do You Show Partial Open-Railing Stairs And How To Show The Door To The Basement Stairs Underneath?

Fun2Learn

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

• 1 month later...

Fun to learn,

Just finishing up a plan with about the same stair situation. In looking at your section view one thing stands out. Headroom appears to be a big problem here. If it would not effect anything else I think you should shorten up the landing on floor one by as much as possible, maybe 24"  + or _.This will allow you to move the stair section forward and cut down on the amount the upper end of the stair section intrudes into your hallway ceiling. This should give you the required headroom for code.

Have a great week, Ken  B)

One more thought. I know it is nice to leave as much room as possible in the entry but sometimes other things dictate the situation. I would move the stairs to where they were as close to the door to the room to the right without crowding the door trim. The stringers should bump into and sit on the landing.

Couldn't you just set the stairs-fill to transparent to see under it, that's what I do.

Perry- this is an old post,  but I think the issue (or at least the main one) was that I wanted to only see underneath the upper portion of the stairs and show those treads as dashed, while keeping the lower ones shown as solid lines and I didn't want those to be transparent as I didn't want to see the wall underneath the open treads, etc. (In other words, I wanted to show it as in traditional drafting with everything below a certain height as solid, everything above as dashed (and transparent in effect) ). Glenn's solution solves that pretty well, as well as the issue of having only part of the stair with open risers, etc. (This stair got tricky because the basement stair didn't line up exactly,, etc.)

Fun to learn,

Just finishing up a plan with about the same stair situation. In looking at your section view one thing stands out. Headroom appears to be a big problem here. If it would not effect anything else I think you should shorten up the landing on floor one by as much as possible, maybe 24"  + or _.This will allow you to move the stair section forward and cut down on the amount the upper end of the stair section intrudes into your hallway ceiling. This should give you the required headroom for code.

Have a great week, Ken  B)

One more thought. I know it is nice to leave as much room as possible in the entry but sometimes other things dictate the situation. I would move the stairs to where they were as close to the door to the room to the right without crowding the door trim. The stringers should bump into and sit on the landing.

I agree NRST8TRKR--this was just a "playing around" to learn Chief plan. Actually--it was the plan  created from following along with the Chief Training Video residential design series, but I moved the stairs because the architect in me just couldn't stand the original location of their stairs and just had to try and "tweak" it a bit (they had the bottom of the stairs about 4' away from the back kitchen wall.)  That opened up a bunch of questions for me about how to do stairs in Chief. (By the way, I think the whole residential video series was excellent and very helpful for getting "up and running" with Chief, but the house plan they use for it is....well, let's just say it could use some improvement, cough, cough. )

Phyllis