Display a layout border

lbuttery

Ok, when you don't use something for awhile the fundamentals slip away

I am trying to create a template for a 36 x 24 layout (portrait  mode)

On page 0 I have a red border 1/2" inset which I want to see on all the pages

as a guide for placing my art which I then print as one piece for framing in my musuem

I can't get the red border to show on all the pages 

what have I forgotten to do ?

I'm using X9 

Lew

FORT_NIAGARA_MAT_36X24.layout

Lew You have Pages 0, 1, and 2 as templates.  Pages 27, and 28 reference the template of page 2

It seems this it something you have done purposely so just copy and paste the red border to pages 1 and 2 and you should be good.

I don't understand how to have pages as templates

I understand how to have a layout as a template

I never did anything on pages 27-28 ???

I don't want the red border on pages 1 and 2

it is suppose to be on page 0 

then it will show on all pages

Lew

Lew,

Normally anything on page zero will appear on the following pages as page zero is a template page.

BUT, you have made page 1 a template page as well, which other pages are referencing as their template.

That is why you are not seeing the red rectangle on page 1.

You can have as many template pages in a layout as you like and other pages can reference them as their template.

Open up Edit Page Information while on page 1 and have a look at where it says Use As Page Template.

You can't uncheck this box until you go to the pages that are using page 1 as their template, and tell them to use another page as their template.

Once you do those things, page 1 will no longer be a template page and you will be able to make it refer to page zero as it's template. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Lew You have Pages 0, 1, and 2 as templates.  Pages 27, and 28 reference the template of page 2

It seems this it something you have done purposely so just copy and paste the red border to pages 1 and 2 and you should be good.

I think it was Perry who said if you have more than one template page,  they should not use pages  1,2,3, etc.  They should use a page that IS AFTER your last plan page.  I think I could explain why if I had to ,  but just take my word for it.

So,  the first template page should use page zero,  and if you have any more templates,  they should use a page AFTER your last. page sheet..,... put them on page 201 just to be safe.

Any comments?

• Upvote 1

Glenn, Scott:

thanks for the replies

I'm used to old fashioned layouts where you put things on page 0 that you want to see on all pages

I have no idea how or why other pages are set as templates also ???

when I get to the museum I will start over and create a  new 36 x 24 layout with the red border on page 0

in my initial floundering in remembering how to rotate a layout (you don't - you select portrait) I must have done something ELSE ???

I just want a simple 36 x 24 layout so I can add 4 images of Fort Niagara to be printed as one art piece to be framed

and hung in my museum

thanks

Lew

ok, I started over and had success

I was at my museum and didn't have any of my older blank layouts with me

so I used the profile.layout and then deleted "everything" visible

there must have been other settings that set up templates on other pages ???

anyways this morning I used my 11 x 17 blank and resized for 24 x 36 and resized the red border

after placing one of the art pieces I realized I needed 36 x 12 with space between each art piece

I could go for 24 x 12 but then there would be zero space between each art piece

as they are 11" w and 6" h 

I might be able to find a 30 x 12 frame at Hobby Lobby at that will reduce the space between each art piece

for now this is what they will look like - see attached

Lew

FORT_NIAGARA_MATS_A_36x12_X9.pdf

13 hours ago, dshall said:
On 7/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, Chopsaw said:

I think it was Perry who said if you have more than one template page,  they should not use pages  1,2,3, etc.  They should use a page that IS AFTER your last plan page.  I think I could explain why if I had to ,  but just take my word for it.

So,  the first template page should use page zero,  and if you have any more templates,  they should use a page AFTER your last. page sheet..,... put them on page 201 just to be safe.

Any comments?

I think the issue comes if you use a macro to number your pages sequentially, the templates will mess with the order of things unless they are last.

What Chief needs to do is allow lettered pages to be templates and numbered pages to have content.  In theory this would replace page 0 with template A and you could then have as many as 26 other templates where ever you like.  Or maybe 2 or 3 would be adequate for the average person.  i.e.  Templates  A, B, C.

Chopsaw:

perhaps Chief's profile.layout has macros and templates set on other pages

I know not ...

I simply wanted a basic layout with a red border on page 0

I was a my museum and didn't have my older templates with me

so I used Chief's OOB profile.layout and deleted everything on page 0

apparently that was not enough

at home I was able to use one of my older layout templates 

and had the 36 x 12 layout created in moments

Lew

I have no problem with Layout Page Templates not being at the end.  You just have to make sure you specify which page template is to be used for each page of your Layout.  Here's an example:

=============================

Page 0 - Default Page Template - includes my Architects License Stamp

Pages 1-6 - General Sheets use "Default Page Template"; Label = "G-#"

Pages 7-20 - Architectural Sheets use "Default Page Template"; Label = "A-#"

Page 21 - Structural Page Template

Pages 22-28 - Structural Sheets use "Structural Page Template"; Label = "S-#"

Pages 29-32 - Electrical Sheets use "Default Page Template"; Label = "E-#"

Pages 33-35 - Mechanical Sheets use "Default Page Template"; Label = "M-#"

Pages 36-38 - Plumbing Sheets use "Default Page Template"; Label = "P-#"

=============================

Notice that the only difference between the 2 Page Templates is the existence of my License Stamp.  The position of the "Structural Page Template" at page 21 doesn't effect pages 29-38 because those pages are specified to use the "Default Page Template".

This is my standard Layout Template File and not all sheets are used on every project.  When I elect to do my own structural engineering I simply change Pages 22-28 to use the "Default Page Template". and then my License stamp is included on those sheets as well.

• Upvote 1

at first sight of the different layout pages, the page numbering use to get messed up, so we put that extra template at the end ,  solved that problem. ! haven't changed that since.

I use A-#,,FOR Architectural set and S-# for structural set. but I also use the actual page numbering.

page numbering.png

• Upvote 1