Library objects

Richard_Z

55 minutes ago, Richard_Z said:

Why new created objects added to library (like drawer box) are not available when trying to add to cabinet in plan? 

For something like a drawer box it needs to be treated as an appliance. Create an appliance opening in your cabinet and then select your library object that is to be used. For it to insert properly you may need to open up your library symbol and adjust the orientation offsets and sizing planes.

59 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

For something like a drawer box it needs to be treated as an appliance. Create an appliance opening in your cabinet and then select your library object that is to be used. For it to insert properly you may need to open up your library symbol and adjust the orientation offsets and sizing planes.

You only need an appliance opening IF your drawer box has a drawer head on it. IF you created a drawer box that just goes inside the cabinet but uses the cabinets drawer front then-1) it must defined as a fixture

2) you specify it in the front/sides/back tab of the drawer itself

Cab DBX.png

7 minutes ago, Richard_Z said:

Thanks, I got it to work, but is there a way so drawer resizes with cabinet resizing?

You will need to adjust the symbol stretch planes, this will tell CA how to stretch it properly when you change the width or height of your cabinet. Just remember to update(replace) the appliance symbol from your library so the new stretch settings will take effect.

2 hours ago, Richard_Z said:

changing stretch planes doesn't change drawer, but pull out shelf works right.

431390327_Drawersizing.thumb.png.c0819f6e8c0605910112c0518937eb4b.png

It will resize correctly up to the width you made it before converting to a symbol...(so long as you have not changed the bounding box). In image attached all have drawer box made at 48" wide EXCEPT  for the one on the right which has a drawer box made at 36" wide.

1012795993_Drawerboxsymbols.thumb.png.1862ab7209511b9df408841341e7c0db.png

Learning to create and manipulate symbols takes some time and practice. There is a video or two. Another good resource is the user manual. I printed out all relevant pages from the user manual (maybe 6 pgs) and kept them handy. There are still things I either forget or fool me once in a while so even then there can be trial and error as you try more advanced things. Suggest doing some reading and download some symbols from here and open them (the symbol not just the item) to see how others have done things.

Something I use when fiddling with symbols is to alter the name when adding them to the library so that all versions end up at the top of the list. That way it is easier to change them out in situations where it must be done from the DBX. To move a library item to the top of the list add some spaces or underscore to the front of the name i.e

"    1 Drawerbox", "   2 Drawerbox", etc or "___1DRWbx"...

Sometimes you can change a symbol by dragging it onto an object in a 3D, like a cabinet door, view which is very fast. The naming trick still helps there.

BTW-helps us to help if you fill out your signature and often post the plan.