Entry Gable

JNWArchitect

IMG_6716.thumb.jpeg.b0e25f2ca48864649c6b2aa21cb87f08.jpeg Trying to recreate the entry gable in this pic for a client.

Cannot figure out how to make the roof returns at the front and cannot figure out how to make the bottom of the gable wall over the entry arched.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys, but i have tried to use the roof return on the gable wall that I drew under the entry eave and nothing happens.

I got the gable wall by drawing a regular wall below the gable (on floor 1), clicked 'gable wall' to create the 'attic wall' and then 'shrunk' the part below the triangular section to eliminate the unneeded part of the wall.

Still learning the ins & outs of this program so i'm not sure if that is correct.

In any event, nothing happens when i click the roof return options on the wall dbx.

16 minutes ago, JNWArchitect said:

Thanks guys, but i have tried to use the roof return on the gable wall that I drew under the entry eave and nothing happens.

I got the gable wall by drawing a regular wall below the gable (on floor 1), clicked 'gable wall' to create the 'attic wall' and then 'shrunk' the part below the triangular section to eliminate the unneeded part of the wall.

Still learning the ins & outs of this program so i'm not sure if that is correct.

In any event, nothing happens when i click the roof return options on the wall dbx.

please post your .plan file

Here is the plan file.

Also, while I was messing with the entry gable, one of the two dormers started showing drywall for the exterior finish vs. siding. I couldn't fix it so I exploded the dormer to see what the front dormer wall materials were, they showed correctly (Siding exterior/drywall interior) so i even changed the drywall to siding and it still showed as drywall. I ended up NOT saving my work and reopening the file where it was showing correctly.

In addition, I wanted to show the front elevation with the elevation line (not sure the command name), but it kept giving me a section beyond the face of the building wall. (ie: within the building itself)

Trying a "build front elevation command" from the menu bar gave me a skewed elevation from the main part of the front of the house (perpendicular to the garage wall) not the elevation that was perpendicular to the main house.

1918_Base.plan

Thank you Solver!

I'll try that on my plan later today.

I did notice on the image you posted of the correct porch view that the dormer in the background shows drywall as the exterior material like i was explaining in my earlier post.

Do you have any idea why that occurs?

Also, your comment about having a 'clean roof plan'... I struggled with that roof for quite some time and still it isn't 100% correct. Probably good enough for my needs, just frustrating that it was so difficult to put together.

Thanks again for your help!

14 hours ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.png.9a04a1d56d6b9d0c266a8790c993195b.png

Simple demo plan: porch demo.zip

29 minutes ago, JNWArchitect said:

Thank you Solver!

I'll try that on my plan later today.

I did notice on the image you posted of the correct porch view that the dormer in the background shows drywall as the exterior material like i was explaining in my earlier post.

Do you have any idea why that occurs?

Also, your comment about having a 'clean roof plan'... I struggled with that roof for quite some time and still it isn't 100% correct. Probably good enough for my needs, just frustrating that it was so difficult to put together.

Thanks again for your help!

I decided not to mention my frustrations with this .plan...I spent a good hour or so messing around with it and it was turning into a real bag of worms.

As solver said the front and back porch should be defined by using room dividers.

CA doesn't really let you design from the roof down but the roof should've been designed starting from the shell of the building. The best methods IMO and I think solver would agree is by starting with auto-build roofs...learn that tool and complex roofs will become very manageable. There are a lot of walls with strange roof designations, stretched top heights, no room definitions.... there are also many rooms that are different from the floor defaults and didn't make much sense to me, not knowing what is true and what may be a mistake.

Admittedly I gave up on the effort after deleting the second floor and still running into problems. 

I don't know that me posting this info is helpful, I certainly don't mean to be rude, there are some best practices for putting together a building in CA like this that maybe should be studied.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, JNWArchitect said:

IMG_6716.thumb.jpeg.b0e25f2ca48864649c6b2aa21cb87f08.jpeg Trying to recreate the entry gable in this pic for a client.

Cannot figure out how to make the roof returns at the front and cannot figure out how to make the bottom of the gable wall over the entry arched.

Any help is appreciated.

I decided to use your post and request to make a fairly comprehensive video on this topic...apologies for the length of the video but it happens :huh:

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the great responses!

No offense taken Renerabbitt, I admit I'm a self-trained 'noob' with just over a year of learning the program and probably did some many things 'unorthodox-ly'.

I was just trying to get something to the client for their initial review and like everyone else, my time was limited.

Solver & SNestor, Wow! I really appreciate the time you guys took to make & provide the videos! They were extremely helpful! (I also know now where to look on YouTube for them)

The roof command is admittedly a weak spot for me. (One of several!)

And I NEVER would have thought to use a 'railing wall' for the covered porch area! Great idea & it makes sense.

The support from the folks in this forum makes using the program so much better than others I have used.

I am signed up for the training sessions in Coeur d'Alene in September, so hopefully I can become more proficient and 'bother' you guys less on the forum.

Sincerely appreciate the time & effort!

Thanks again!