Heavy timber deck construction

dshall

Hi Guys,  I need to do a Heavy timber deck construction.

I think that means:

8x8 posts (or is it 6x6,  I have seen it both ways)

6x8 or 4x10 beam minimum

3x ledgers

2x6 t&g decking for a roof

.......and.......  what can I use for DECKING for a deck?  I want to use 2x6 decking with a 1/8" gap but I do not think it will work

Trex is is out because it is flammable...  any ideas for the decking?

On 6/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, SNestor said:

It looks like TimberTech Azek has a class "A" flame spread index.  https://www.timbertech.com/imagine/stories/timbertech-azek-receives-class-a-flame-spread-index-rating

Decks are difficult in California...well, so is everything else - so it figures.  Better than burning your house to the ground...:huh:

Thanks Steve....  that might work...

20 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

how about good ole Dex-o-tex over conc. base?

Nope,  he wanted the decking.  I started with the dex-o-tex.

BTW,  This is in the middle of La Jolla but just so happens to have a bit of natural canyon behind it so it needs to be 1-hour.  The house two doors down recently had a huge deck put on and they used Trex decking.  Why can they use Trex and I can't?  I do not know.

I am really getting burned out with the land mines I am always seeming to step in.

Recently went to submit a project,  a new unit on a lot with an existing house (zoned for the extra unit),  and the submittal was rejected because I did not have a landscape and irrigation plan.  I have never had that happen unless it was for a CDP.....  which I thought would be needed.....  but nope,  for some unknown reason,  the owner says we will not need one,  he even checked with the city.  

Oh well,  if it was too easy,  the owners would do this themselves and I would not have a job .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

maybe give these guys a call, check for your local distributor..They are getting away with UL listed assemblies on treated lumber:

http://www.frtw.com/?q=distributors

Here is another option.

This is what Fiberon states about their ProTech Advantage Decking

Fiberon Decking

And if you live in a wildfire-prone region, consider ProTect Advantage FR Decking. You'll enjoy all the beauty and benefits of original ProTect Advantage plus the comfort of knowing the "FR" boards have been tested and approved for use in Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) zones.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dshall said:

Here is another option.

This is what Fiberon states about their ProTech Advantage Decking

Fiberon Decking

And if you live in a wildfire-prone region, consider ProTect Advantage FR Decking. You'll enjoy all the beauty and benefits of original ProTect Advantage plus the comfort of knowing the "FR" boards have been tested and approved for use in Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) zones.

nice, saved it, +1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

BTW,  This is in the middle of La Jolla but just so happens to have a bit of natural canyon behind it so it needs to be 1-hour.  The house two doors down recently had a huge deck put on and they used Trex decking.  Why can they use Trex and I can't?  I do not know.

I am really getting burned out with the land mines I am always seeming to step in.

Recently went to submit a project,  a new unit on a lot with an existing house (zoned for the extra unit),  and the submittal was rejected because I did not have a landscape and irrigation plan.  I have never had that happen unless it was for a CDP.....  which I thought would be needed.....  but nope,  for some unknown reason,  the owner says we will not need one,  he even checked with the city.  

Oh well,  if it was too easy,  the owners would do this themselves and I would not have a job .

I have run into the landscape thing, it's usually a homeowners assoc. requirement, but they want it anyway.   I tell the h.o. to get a landscape architect, I'm not doing it.

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have run into the landscape thing, it's usually a homeowners assoc. requirement, but they want it anyway.   I tell the h.o. to get a landscape architect, I'm not doing it.

tsk tsk no name calling, be nice to your client ;)

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Scott,  check the Cal Fire website, State Fire Marshall's Building Materials Listing Program to see

if a product is approved by them.

Here

State Fire Marshall Building Materials Listing Program

I am using IPE and have the approval from SFM

79026406_IPEListingSFM.thumb.JPG.dfc59a5e88060097ce7ba9e4c00a3fa5.JPG

2053-0100.PDF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJohnson said:

Scott,  check the Cal Fire website, State Fire Marshall's Building Materials Listing Program to see

if a product is approved by them.

Here

State Fire Marshall Building Materials Listing Program

I am using IPE and have the approval from SFM

79026406_IPEListingSFM.thumb.JPG.dfc59a5e88060097ce7ba9e4c00a3fa5.JPG

2053-0100.PDF

THANK YOU J Johnson...   that is the ticket!