for interior designers - access laundry through utility

madcowscarnival

I'm laying out a slab on grade house for a guy; something I rarely get in to.  His idea is an entry to a laundry off the Living Room.  I don't particularly like that, but only other option is through a utility (with their deep freeze, kind of like a large general utility) with an extra entrance through master bath.  Any thoughts on what would be more preferred?  Bottom line, I'll make it work for him, but I want him to not have regrets.

Clipboard01.thumb.png.f4678bdb9d5a836cc4ab263fe1c3dac0.png

I'm with you. I would not place a door from the Living UNLESS the client absolutely insisted. One other comment - if the Living is on the front of the house, what about the "look" from the front, especially window placement and size? If no windows are in the Laundry or Master Bath, that may not look so good from the exterior.:)

You should post the plan.  

That said...if this home is in a cold climate I would not place the Washer on an exterior wall even in a 2x6 wall. If you have no choice as to the location...then construct another wall inside the 2x6 wall and use that as your plumbing wall.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

How about this.  Instead of a door facing the Dining Room, make it a cased opening going to a hallway and create a mechanical closet by enclosing the water heater and A/C with double doors.  I try to avoid placing doors on "public" areas, or at least soften their presence with a cased opening.  I also placed a cased opening at the entrance to the Hall to the bedrooms for the same reason.

Capture.PNG