Stair 101 (Stairs for Dummies)

Evolution

I continue to work on the as-built interior of the Charitable Foundation Remodel, I am doing this design for and now stuck on the stairs:blink:   I am only doing the remodel of the 2nd floor, so the only walls you will see on the first floor are the main stair well, janitor and restroom core (which are fire walls). My building is approx. 10' floor to a drywall (fire rated) ceiling.  All finished ceilings are 9' lay in (which I have not modeled yet). I have drawn the walls in on the second floor based on my actual as built dimensions. I attempted the u-shaped stair with the stair  tools, of course starting with the U-Shaped stair tool and placing it in my plan, then attempted to open and adjust it to work, and as you guess by my title (Stairs for Dummies) I am just that.  I haven't been able to get it to work. There is  a stair to the attic from the second floor

The Training video is nice, but doesn't exactly model the condition I'm dealing with. I tried the straight stair tool, starting on the first floor, then clicking at the top for the landing, before turning up from their but that didn't work either. I'm posting the latest iteration of the plan, and thanks for your VALUABLE TIME & HELP!

Orphanos Foundation Renovations.plan

Stair well second floor.png

Never used the U stair tool before but I was able to fit the stair into your plan.

The odd thing about that stair is that you must adjust the Landing to fit (all nodes of the landing)  and then you adjust the stair runs.

Is that what you were having an issue with?

Alan, I couldn't get the stairs to draw at all. IOW, straight, U or otherwise? If I drew the straight stair, floor one then floor two then attempt to click for the landing it did nothing at all. The U-shaped had to be placed outside the plan, then adjusted to the clear dimension then shift select to drag it into place, but it would do the sloped ceiling for the flight up from the landing etc. I tried just creating an open to below room and placing the stairs that (for whatever reason) is not working.   I really don't have to have the stairs in my remodel plan but wanted to show them in case the AHJ says something about them. We aren't modifying any of the core area (at least not for now)

18 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Alan, I couldn't get the stairs to draw at all. IOW, straight, U or otherwise? If I drew the straight stair, floor one then floor two then attempt to click for the landing it did nothing at all. The U-shaped had to be placed outside the plan, then adjusted to the clear dimension then shift select to drag it into place, but it would do the sloped ceiling for the flight up from the landing etc. I tried just creating an open to below room and placing the stairs that (for whatever reason) is not working.   I really don't have to have the stairs in my remodel plan but wanted to show them in case the AHJ says something about them. We aren't modifying any of the core area (at least not for now)

Made a video for you...hope it helps you out!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Made a video for you...hope it helps you out!

Steve, as usual, your video is great help however;, looking on the plan of the first floor, when you come through the front door facing the stair, the first flight is on your left going up clock wise, and you hit the landing turn right to the next flight up. The reason the walls are there is because they enclose a third flight of stairs that go up to the attic (which has a closed bottom of drywall sloping to the rise / run of the second flight of stairs), there is no open stair well thus no need for the extra railing you modeled at the second floor landing.  In my first attempt to do the "U-shaped" stair, I did every thing exactly as you did, even drew the stairs (as I explained early in this post) outside of the stair well.  What I wasn't aware of is what you pointed out (I'm hearing impaired ) so didn't quite understand what you were saying in the video about moving the red dots, but wasn't aware I needed to do that, so that may be what my problem was the entire time.   I'll watch this video a couple more times and give it a whirl and see if that fixes my stair.  I was wondering, since the stair from the second floor to the attic actually forms the ceiling over the first flight of stairs and is enclosed by the walls I have drawn, if I should go up to the third floor and make the room for the attic stairs and open below room and put those stairs in first then go back down to the first floor and start over?

Great job on all the videos you do!

I updated my plan file and added some notes that indicate the direction of each flight of stairs. It also should clarify why I have the walls drawn as I do. I apologize for not be more clear. I did have the Third floor walls for the stairs down to the second floor drawn incorrectly but double checked and now they're correct. The third floor is actually the attic, where all the mechanicals are and I knew I'd have to make a floor to be able to draw anything on the attic floor (that comes later anyway).  The rest of this day is on to Budgets, and bids, so I have to put this down until tomorrow (I hope I can get back on it). Thanks again for all the help. Oh if I could only be the help to others you guy's have been to me!?!?!

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

I updated my plan file and added some notes that indicate the direction of each flight of stairs. It also should clarify why I have the walls drawn as I do. I apologize for not be more clear. I did have the Third floor walls for the stairs down to the second floor drawn incorrectly but double checked and now they're correct. The third floor is actually the attic, where all the mechanicals are and I knew I'd have to make a floor to be able to draw anything on the attic floor (that comes later anyway).  The rest of this day is on to Budgets, and bids, so I have to put this down until tomorrow (I hope I can get back on it). Thanks again for all the help. Oh if I could only be the help to others you guy's have been to me!?!?!

See attached plan...I think it should be self explanatory.  I did not use the "u-shaped" stair tool.  I just drew the stairs using the "draw stair" tool and then snapped a landing in between each stair.  I added the "break line" to each stair to make the appearance better.

Hope this helps you out.

Orphanos Foundation Renovations-steve fix stair.plan

11 hours ago, SNestor said:

See attached plan...I think it should be self explanatory.  I did not use the "u-shaped" stair tool.  I just drew the stairs using the "draw stair" tool and then snapped a landing in between each stair.  I added the "break line" to each stair to make the appearance better.

Hope this helps you out.

Orphanos Foundation Renovations-steve fix stair.plan

Thanks again Steve.  The "U" Shaped stair stops at the 2nd floor level, and the stair to the (attic) 3rd floor is a strait single stair up from the 2nd floor.  I attempted to select the U-shape you have drawn (on the third level) there and change it but it want let me. I assume any adjustment to that portion of the stair has to be done below on the 2nd floor?

ATTIC - MECHANICAL.png

FIRST FLOOR.png

SECOND FLOOR.png

FYI,

On the first attempt, original plan, I placed the U stair in a large room and drug it into place.

At that time the 3 stair components moved as a unit as if they were blocked together.

I had to edit the landing to get the steps to move. Later I opened the same plan & the stair acted normally, each could be moved separately.

I have no clue what caused this behavior.

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

FYI,

On the first attempt, original plan, I placed the U stair in a large room and drug it into place.

At that time the 3 stair components moved as a unit as if they were blocked together.

I had to edit the landing to get the steps to move. Later I opened the same plan & the stair acted normally, each could be moved separately.

I have no clue what caused this behavior.

I know. I couldn't get Steve's direction in the GREAT video he did to work for me like it did for him:(. And especially the last response he provided with his iteration of the plan - stair using the straight stair tool I can't get the landing to build when I place the 1st floor and 2nd floor straight stair and then click between the two to place the landing ABSOLUTELY nothing happens :blink: I am not remodeling the area of the stair so that's not a big deal (except I'd like to know why my approach doesn't work when I think I'm following the directions correctly?). I would just like to show them in the as built mask and final remodel plan of the 2nd floor so the Client doesn't say "where's the stairs" or The code reviewer says, "I need you to reference the stair".

Take this as a "guess" as I've have not tried this.  

To get that stair to go from the 2nd floor to the "attic"...I think you should "insert" a new "3rd" floor.  Someone better at stairs than me may have a better suggestion.  Attics are just a pain to deal with. 

• Like 1