Speed of x11 - finished plans

johnny

13 hours ago, paulchoate said:

Great advice BUT I don't want to turn off layers. I want to use 3D plants. I want my framing on. So, just tell me what I need to do to get it to run faster! PLEASE!

That's a tall order!!! What are the hardware specs of your current system? Maybe there is something that can be done but if your system is already reasonably configured then it's unlikely you will be able to reduce the lag enough. Again need to know your current specs.

Not sure why you are so adverse to turning of layer sets, this is the most effective way to improve performance and it does not cost any money to do so. It just involves a bit of front end effort to set-up/define the different working sets and then save this as your template. Like you, I have all kinds of 3D plants and furniture in my plans but if I'm working on roof planes there is no purpose in having those items displayed, they only clutter-up the view and slow things down and they can also be distracting.

It's important to understand that there is no software that can handle an infinite amount of complexity, they all slow down at some point in time. Breaking things down into more manageable chunks is the only effective way to deal with this and this technique is used in every industry software or otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Johnny,

Are you talking about the Plan or Layout?

What sort of slowness are you seeing?

Is it Pan & Zoom?

Yes, its pan and zoom....also general edits.  It feels like working under water.  X11 just feels a bit worse than other releases.

I really don't think there is much you can do about this and I'm not sure there is much CA can do either. It seems that the handling of 2D graphics is done via a Microsoft module. To display things when panning and zooming in 2D all those vectors have to be recalculated and then rasterized. Most of this is CPU related computations and from I can see they are predominantly single threaded so there is an inherent limitation as complexity increases. As this discussion has evolved the only option is to use the display layer sets to reduce as much as possible the displayed graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, KenL-sdd said:

Be sure to go into NVIDIA control panel and set cheif X11 to use card. Otherwise chief is very slow. This should solve your issue. See attached.

Let me know.

Ken

Nvidia.jpg

Though this should always be done I have never found it to have much if any effect on speed, tends to be more related to display quality and certain camera attributes. No harm in checking.

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Though this should always be done I have never found it to have much if any effect on speed, tends to be more related to display quality and certain camera attributes. No harm in checking.

I just had a friend put in a GTX 2080. Until he made this change he had 4 to 6 seconds lag time...

Remove chief from your control panel and see what happens

12 minutes ago, KenL-sdd said:

I just had a friend put in a GTX 2080. Until he made this change he had 4 to 6 seconds lag time...

As I said, no harm in checking. Can never say for sure but my suspicion is that upon the initial GTX 2080 install the card was not being recognized as 100% dedicated, could have been flipping back and forth between the integrated chip and the GTX depending upon demand. Assigning CA in the Nvidia DBX can resolve this problem but not always as this is mainly related to the power plan settings. However, if it worked it worked and at the end of the day that's really all that matters.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2019 at 6:40 AM, MarkMc said:

I can't from a hardware perspective. A lot of little things that are in your control help, which is what is being pointed out.

Keep all unused layers are off, control with layer sets. (no reason to have framing on all the time).

Have a working layer set keeping hatching, patterns textures off as much as possible.

Avoid unnecessary anno sets, layer sets, or layers. Import and export as needed.

(To see how this affects things check the file size of a large plan, open it. Then open an OOB plan template. In the first plan-all layers on and unlocked, edit area-all floors, select all copy. Paste into the OOB plan, save as untitled. Compare file sizes.)

Use secondary plans for rendering or lots of interior fixtures (my work revolves around that stuff) or landscape.

Avoid PDFs if at all possible-convert to dwg, text, png.

Schedules only in CAD details, never in floor plan. As much text in CAD details as possible. Use warehouse plans as often as possible.

Often better to convert psolids and the like to symbols. Besides they are easier to reuse and can be saved in specific plans prior to converting for alteration later.

Avoid unnecessary macros.

AND there still will be times that things lag.

I use chief for plans and construction documents but lumion for the renderings (way more realistic than chief). 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:09 AM, KenL-sdd said:

A while ago, I used to have input lag while using  files from one server, after utilizing local files from an ssd drive, the input lab became insignificant, more of a difference than switching from a rtx 2070 to 2080...