Room Types Randomly Change - GLITCH??

nVisionTEKBIM

I'm using x11 on a project, and for some strange reason my room types will randomly change when I make the slightest change to an adjacent room or room below/above. When I say "room type", I mean it becomes a totally different room with different flooring & trim, ect. It has been very frustrating, and has happened on my previous 3-4 projects. A more experienced user than me that is helping me out also noticed this.

On a past project, this has happened many times with a complex open/closed stairwell. It seems Chief has difficulties defining rooms when the room enclosure is not a simple box.

If I need to upload the file here, I can. But if anyone else has had this issue, I'd like to know if you have a solution or any advice.

• Upvote 1

If you can reproduce, make a video and send to Chief.

When you notice it, undo until it's correct, then redo to show the steps.

And yes, I imagine everyone has experienced this in some form.

• Upvote 1

I get that as well..most times don't even notice it until I'm sending out the final PDF, and sometimes it squeaks through and it's embarrassing to see a bedroom labeled as a kitchen...even after i quality check the project.  Not reproducible or steps to do it, it's totally random.  Doesn't happen a lot, but happens enough to be annoying.

I have been saying for over a decade that if Chief needs to make a change to MY work

a warning would be nice

this "lock" should be a user preference - so that those who don't want it can turn it off

but yes, it is very embarrassing to send out plans with these kinds of "errors" in them :(

Lew

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:22 PM, nVisionTEKBIM said:

On a past project, this has happened many times with a complex open/closed stairwell. It seems Chief has difficulties defining rooms when the room enclosure is not a simple box.

Does the change to the adjacent room have to do with walls being manipulated?

were the two adjoined rooms created from one room that had a room designation(as opposed to "unknown") and then subdivided?

15 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Does the change to the adjacent room have to do with walls being manipulated?

were the two adjoined rooms created from one room that had a room designation(as opposed to "unknown") and then subdivided?

Honestly, I guess I wouldn't even say adjacent. It just happens randomly after making minor tweaks. I haven't been able to narrow it down to "when" it occurs. I've been working on Revit projects mostly the last few weeks, so I can't do a test on it in Chief until I get back into it soon.

1 minute ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Honestly, I guess I wouldn't even say adjacent. It just happens randomly after making minor tweaks. I haven't been able to narrow it down to "when" it occurs. I've been working on Revit projects mostly the last few weeks, so I can't do a test on it in Chief until I get back into it soon.

A scenario: Create a room and give it a room designation and then subdivide the room and give the subsequent rooms new definitions, then delete the division..the room will take on the original definition. This goes for any time a room is manipulated in such a way that that the room is no longer closed...dependent on what was modified, the room may remember its last designation or it may revert back to its previous. If you leave all rooms as unknown(default state, aside from using room planner) this issue won't occur, so far as I know.

20 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

If you leave all rooms as unknown

This seems to work for me, but it is non-intuitive. It takes more work to prepare preliminary design documents having to name each room with just text so the final condocs won't (possibly) be screwed up later. CA's ability (I guess that's a feature) to "remember" what the room was originally is a mixed bag; it has come in handy sometimes and sometimes produces the error in condocs. Like Lew said, if it would just "ask me" before it changes my work. Probably difficult or impossible to code, so just move on I guess.