Room above wall problems

ACADuser

This one is driving me nuts.

I started with one story & then tried to use a 2nd story that is open to below.

But nothing wants to cooperate. Look at the front exterior. The red pop out at the front wall should look similar to the red pop out on the right side.

If you place a camera in the lobby you will see the walls are not building correctly. I used a Landing to try to make the shelf ceilings for the rooms on the front wall area.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The zip file is 35MB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikylix9wiz590wd/Test 1.zip?dl=0

2 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Thanks for the input. That fixed one problem but caused another.

That is the thing I've been struggling with. The problem(s) has exceeded my abilities to solve it.

I've been investigating the plan...and I'm confused by the main entry hall.  You want a 16' ceiling.  You have the 1st floor clg height in this room set to the default ceiling height...which is 16'.  So, then you add a 2nd floor with a ceiling height.  Why?  Why not just keep it all on the 1st floor with attic walls?  Maybe because you are adding windows...

I'm still looking at the plan but thought I'd mention this.  

Thanks

My original version did not have a 2nd floor but I could not get that to work around the lobby.

Most of the rooms will have a 9' drop ceiling with small attic, 24" slope bar joist with  10" insulation on top & TPO roofing.

The Lobby has a 16' drop ceiling with same above it. The red wall pop outs have a separate roof with parapet walls.

the rooms that protrude into the Lobby should have shelf ceilings. That is 9' drywall with 12 or 16" wood trusses.

So remove the 2nd floor & put windows in attic walls if that will work.

I changed it back to single story with attic but is still not working wright i think its maybe a bug send in to tech support unless some one else  can see what is wrong if you find out share the fix as i would like to know

9 hours ago, Mark3D said:

Got rid of a few more problems

Test_060619_mark.plan

Some but not all of the Issues are due to the fact you have turned off Invisible Walls in 3D views , same issue as here  :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/22755-gable-wall-not-building/?do=findComment&comment=185222

You also have multiple different wall types for seemingly the same thing but their thickness' especially outside the main layer are different eg some are 7/8 and others only 3/8"  and the 2x6 wall has the OSB in the Main layer too and framing is only 5", this all makes aligning walls in the same plane much more difficult, and not easy to see unless you zoom in while in 2D but can usually be seen in 3D views, making you think you have more of an issue than you do. 

In other cases you ( or perhaps mark?) have just pulled the wrong wall around the wrong corner etc to get them to join properly , also seems to be a lot of needed play with the wall intersection tool to get the right layers joining at the right point.

Also because you are using Railing like above the front entrance , you need to turn the railing off momentarily and pull the bottom of the wall down an 1 or two and then turn the railing back on , this seemed to let the wall over the entry rebuilt properly without the Walls from the Room (white) flashing/sticking through the Stucco in that area. 

PS front entry and Vending Area Ceilings were turned off.

Why the Raililngs are cutting a hole in the soffit above...I didn't go after......

image.thumb.png.5f6253ff88db23bc3eec67d4d7536828.pngimage.thumb.png.391ba02bca422a77379d165ff3b1c737.png     

On 6/7/2019 at 10:01 AM, ACADuser said:

This one is driving me nuts.

I started with one story & then tried to use a 2nd story that is open to below.

But nothing wants to cooperate. Look at the front exterior. The red pop out at the front wall should look similar to the red pop out on the right side.

If you place a camera in the lobby you will see the walls are not building correctly. I used a Landing to try to make the shelf ceilings for the rooms on the front wall area.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The zip file is 35MB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikylix9wiz590wd/Test 1.zip?dl=0

Alan - 

Your plan was difficult to "fix"...so, I created a plan schematic to try to model what you were trying to model.  It's tough...that's for sure. (at least for me)

The attached plan isn't dimensioned...it's just a rough schematic.  However, it will give you clues how to accomplish what I think you are trying to do.  The building is a mix of single and two story.  I've also put a "roof" coping on the stem walls.  The reason for this is for looks..but, also it keeps these walls from growing taller even if the room height is increased.  The roof coping cuts off the walls at a specific height.  

One thing you will find you need to do a lot of is to fix wall corner intersections.  I did a lot of that to get things to look good.  I also created new wall types...my stem walls have stucco on the inside and outside above the roof.  

You might be too far along to "change" your current drawing but feel free to refer to my plan and maybe you can easily pick up an idea or two.

Hope it helps.

Test 060619 - Steve Suggestions.plan

6 minutes ago, SNestor said:

One thing you will find you need to do a lot of is to fix wall corner intersections.  I did a lot of that to get things to look good.  I also created new wall types...my stem walls have stucco on the inside and outside above the roof.  

I found exactly the same thing , it was continuous it seems , it's takes a fair bit to keep track of all the different elevations in a Plan  and which wall should join to which....this is really something Chief is going to have to work on for future versions I think , especially with more and more Modern Contemporary Homes are wanted /built and their move to Support Light Commercial Structures which are also tending to follow the same Design cues these days.

I had a bad crash ( Blue Screen) while working in Chief yesterday to Clean up the plan before attaching it to my Post above , not sure if Chief was the Cause to be honest but it's been some time since I had a BSOD , so I didn't want to attach the plan just in case it was corrupt but all seems well today so here it is:

Test_060619_MHD.plan

M.

Like Steve , I decided to take the Rough design Cues from your Plan Allan and try a few things in my Own , it was possible to do it on one Level, but after noticing alot of weird Attic walls building Automatically in your Plan and having to delete many that weren't needed , I turned off Auto Attic Wall Build ( Alt-Q ) and manually built/drew walls as needed.

Another thing that would really help these buildings with Parapet Walls would be if we had a Setting similar to Floors to hang the Roof Structure on the Wall ( like the floor Platform Check box) as I found time and again a Roof Plane destroyed the wall structure when pulled a smidge too close , this is made harder in some cases as you cannot always "see" the truse thickness of the Walls you are trying to Snap too as Like Steve I also made 4-5 new walltypes to use in different areas , ie Block with stucco both, block with drywall both , drywall on one and Stucco on one etc.

Many of the same Issues though Alan so I don't think all the Issues you are having are yours to be honest.  Railings still remove the Soffit on Overhanging Roofs for example and alot of use of the Wall intersections Tool to fix wall layer/join issues.

M.

image.thumb.png.07974f71942f99057979df628c8bd004.png                             Test_ModernStyle_Commercial.plan                  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Like Steve , I decided to take the Rough design Cues from your Plan Allan and try a few things in my Own , it was possible to do it on one Level, but after noticing alot of weird Attic walls building Automatically in your Plan and having to delete many that weren't needed , I turned off Auto Attic Wall Build ( Alt-Q ) and manually built/drew walls as needed.

Another thing that would really help these buildings with Parapet Walls would be if we had a Setting similar to Floors to hang the Roof Structure on the Wall ( like the floor Platform Check box) as I found time and again a Roof Plane destroyed the wall structure when pulled a smidge too close , this is made harder in some cases as you cannot always "see" the truse thickness of the Walls you are trying to Snap too as Like Steve I also made 4-5 new walltypes to use in different areas , ie Block with stucco both, block with drywall both , drywall on one and Stucco on one etc.

Many of the same Issues though Alan so I don't think all the Issues you are having are yours to be honest.  Railings still remove the Soffit on Overhanging Roofs for example and alot of use of the Wall intersections Tool to fix wall layer/join issues.

M.

image.thumb.png.07974f71942f99057979df628c8bd004.png                             Test_ModernStyle_Commercial.plan                  

Mick-

I like how you used railing walls instead of building a 2nd floor.  Much easier to control not only the height of the rails...but, also, far fewer attic walls to deal with. Nice job....

Thank you both for your efforts.

Not sure what walls were messed up on the wall outer layers but that should be all the same.

Attached is my current attempt using walls in the attic & pony walls for the interior rooms.

It is looking close in the 3D views but the pony walls in plan view make a mess of door openings.

Also one window not cutting the wall. See below

BTW I have about 16 hours in the Lobby alone. This has been a nightmare for me & the deadline for next submittals is approaching fast.

It should not be this difficult.

Note that the rooms (2) that have space in the lobby & in the outer space cannot be divided with invisible walls or it messes up the room area & labeling.

They need to be one room (I think).

Test_AB_060819.plan

CA Test1.JPG

6 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Thank you both for your efforts.

Not sure what walls were messed up on the wall outer layers but that should be all the same.

Attached is my current attempt using walls in the attic & pony walls for the interior rooms.

It is looking close in the 3D views but the pony walls in plan view make a mess of door openings.

Also one window not cutting the wall. See below

BTW I have about 16 hours in the Lobby alone. This has been a nightmare for me & the deadline for next submittals is approaching fast.

It should not be this difficult.

Note that the rooms (2) that have space in the lobby & in the outer space cannot be divided with invisible walls or it messes up the room area & labeling.

They need to be one room (I think).

Test_AB_060819.plan

CA Test1.JPG

Bob - made a video showing a couple of possible fixes you may want to make.  Tried...but, could not make big fixes to the plan.  It's complex and there are a lot of things going on...

Hope the video helps just a little...

• Upvote 1

Bob, Thank you so much for the video. It was very helpful.

I apologize for all the weird walls & settings but  I was trying everything I could to fix things.

It seems that I would fix one problem & then create another, so around and around I went.

Thanks to some great suggestions from all of you Forum folks I'm getting closer.

Yes, the solid above the inner rooms was not painted because I was not sure it would work in the final plan.

And yes there are loose ends but I'm close enough to get to the next plan submission once I add the structural elements.

Once I've met my deadline I will return & review your video again. I think there is hope now. :)

16 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Bob, Thank you so much for the video. It was very helpful.

I apologize for all the weird walls & settings but  I was trying everything I could to fix things.

It seems that I would fix one problem & then create another, so around and around I went.

Thanks to some great suggestions from all of you Forum folks I'm getting closer.

Yes, the solid above the inner rooms was not painted because I was not sure it would work in the final plan.

And yes there are loose ends but I'm close enough to get to the next plan submission once I add the structural elements.

Once I've met my deadline I will return & review your video again. I think there is hope now. :)

Alan - glad the video helped you a little...good luck with the job.  It’s a complex  project and a good looking design.  

• Upvote 1