Wall Start/end

rlackore

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

Is there any way to determine visually, in the plan file, which is the start and which is the end of a wall? When I select a wall, I wish one of the end points would be colored, or a different shape, or something. I always guess wrong which end to lock, or which end to to make "through wall", etc. This is driving me nuts.

Cripes. One little checkbox, buried where I never would have looked unless you'd mentioned it. I searched the X6 manual for "wall end" and "wall start", with no hits; I never thought to search for "start indicator" or "end indicator", but there they are on page 109.

Thanks Perry.

Here is how I do it.  Walls are normally drawn in a clockwise direction, and edit handles show on the outside of the main layer.  So, in plan view for vertical walls, if the edit handles are on the left, the start is on the bottom and the end is on the top. If edit handles are on the right, it is the opposite. Similarly, for horizontal walls, if the edit handles are on the top, start is on the left, and end is on the right. If edit handles are on the bottom, it is the opposite.

Hope that helps.

John

Here is how I do it.  Walls are normally drawn in a clockwise direction, and edit handles show on the outside of the main layer.  So, in plan view for vertical walls, if the edit handles are on the left, the start is on the bottom and the end is on the top. If edit handles are on the right, it is the opposite. Similarly, for horizontal walls, if the edit handles are on the top, start is on the left, and end is on the right. If edit handles are on the bottom, it is the opposite.

Hope that helps.

John

Okay. Too much brain energy expended on thinking, though. I'm going to use the "s" and "e" indicators. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

John

The edit handles are located according to the Resize About setting (Alt+Q). 

So you need to be aware of this.

Curious, since I am still new, what situation would be advantageous to lock a wall end. Maybe the answer will help me too.

Let's say you've drawn a stub wall. Now you need to lengthen it to 5'6" from 4'6". Open the dbx, lock the appropriate end, and enter the length.

You can also tell which is the start and which is the end even if you don't have the "s" and "e" on.  If you pay attention to the wall dimension, it has an arrow showing the direction it is going.

Nope, I'd never noticed that either. I assume you're referring to the triangle that lets me rotate the wall. Thanks for that tidbit.

I don't understand this. Regardless of my Resize About setting, everything looks the same to me.

You can also tell which is the start and which is the end even if you don't have the "s" and "e" on.  If you pay attention to the wall dimension, it has an arrow showing the direction it is going.

Nope, I'd never noticed that either. I assume you're referring to the triangle that lets me rotate the wall. Thanks for that tidbit.

No, I think you are assuming wrongly.

When you select a wall and get the temp dimension for it's length, the dimensions arrow is at the wall end.

There is no dimension arrow on the wall start.

I don't understand this. Regardless of my Resize About setting, everything looks the same to me.

The selected wall's grips will locate on the wall location specified by the Resize About setting when you select a wall. 

This was in response to post #4 by John where he describes relying on the grips to determine the wall direction. His described method could lead to confusion, depending on the Resize About setting.

Rob,

I think Glenn is referring to "RESIZE ABOUT" in the wall defaults, not "rotate about" in Preferences.

Look at Defaults/Walls/General Wall/Resize About

Draw a single wall, change those settings & select the wall again. Notice where the grips are

When a wall is selected, where the grips are located along that wall (layer) indicates what is selected in that dbx.

This is a very handy/powerful tool when changing wall defs & types & wall alignment.

Also a very dangerous tool.

post-120-0-86143800-1411663495_thumb.jpg

Rob,

I think Glenn is referring to "RESIZE ABOUT" in the wall defaults, not "rotate about" in Preferences.

Look at Defaults/Walls/General Wall/Resize About

Draw a single wall, change those settings & select the wall again. Notice where the grips are

When a wall is selected, where the grips are located along that wall (layer) indicates what is selected in that dbx.

This is a very handy/powerful tool when changing wall defs & types & wall alignment.

Also a very dangerous tool.

Oh, now I feel stupid. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry, Glen.

• 6 years later...

Adding on to this 7 year old thread, is there a way to swap the start and end of a wall without re-drawing the wall? In this case I need the left side of this exterior wall to be the start so I can adjust the length.

1700062264_WallStartEnd.thumb.PNG.87487f9f84e6c031ec3c2f6776917c52.PNG