How do you set marker defaults in End to End Dimensions or Point to Point dimensions? Is there such a setting? I always have to open the dimension and manually change the marker settings.

The problem that I'm having is extension lines for Manual Dimensions don't display in exterior openings which are perpendicular to dimensions. What I end up doing is cutting the Manual Dimension string and doing a Paste Hold Position. Then I modify the marker from there. What am I doing wrong?  Here's a video of what I mean.

I believe that this is normal behaviour.

The extension lines are automatically suppressed when they lie over the wall surfaces (or openings placed in walls).

If you drag the dimension line outside the building, the extension lines should appear - but this doesn't help your situation.

I don't know any way to make the extension lines appear in the openings.

I would normally avoid drawing dimension lines through the openings.

Chief pretty much said the same thing. Sometimes it's unavoidable. We like to put a lot on notes in our plans and make them as legible as possible. One thing that is not normal behavior is the missing extension lines in the center of walls. It doesn't always happen, but it happens too often. At times, going too far beyond the exterior walls when drawing the dimension causes this. At other times, it's just random.  Does that ever happen to you? Anyone else?

2 hours ago, PerryPlansPro said:

One thing that is not normal behavior is the missing extension lines in the center of walls.

This has aggravated me for years. Like the OP, I like to put a lot of notes and dimensions on the plans; not to the point of confusion, but for clarity (I know, subjective). I would at least like to have a choice to add the extension line in a doorway/door or leave it as-is. Many times that's the best place for the dimension string. It has always looked strange to me to see a dimension tick mark in a doorway without the extension. It begs the question, "to what is he dimensioning to; the drywall, the framing, what?"

1 hour ago, DG1949 said:

It's perhaps annoying to have to resort to a "manual" fix, but if you select the dimension string, just click "Edit Extensions" and just drag the extensions to whatever location (length) you want. 

Thanks, Don, and I do the workarounds; but I shouldn't have to, IMHO.

Robert, if you will do a suggestion in the "Suggestions" forum (since you are the OP), I will support it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DG1949 said:

It's perhaps annoying to have to resort to a "manual" fix, but if you select the dimension string, just click "Edit Extensions" and just drag the extensions to whatever location (length) you want. 

That works great when there's an extension to modify, but when the extension isn't even there, dragging it is pointless. A non-existent extension line doesn't show up by editing the extension line as one would think. It just stays non-existent. 

25 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

This has aggravated me for years. Like the OP, I like to put a lot of notes and dimensions on the plans; not to the point of confusion, but for clarity (I know, subjective). I would at least like to have a choice to add the extension line in a doorway/door or leave it as-is. Many times that's the best place for the dimension string. It has always looked strange to me to see a dimension tick mark in a doorway without the extension. It begs the question, "to what is he dimensioning to; the drywall, the framing, what?"

Thanks, Don, and I do the workarounds; but I shouldn't have to, IMHO.

Robert, if you will do a suggestion in the "Suggestions" forum (since you are the OP), I will support it.

I just did the suggestion. If you have a better way of explaining this to them, then go ahead and take a stab at it. They always seem confused when I bring this to their attention because they don't seem to be able to re-create the problem. Here's the link.

19 hours ago, PerryPlansPro said:

That works great when there's an extension to modify, but when the extension isn't even there, dragging it is pointless. A non-existent extension line doesn't show up by editing the extension line as one would think. It just stays non-existent. 

Yes, now I see what you mean. I'm able to edit the interior wall extension, but not the exterior. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, PerryPlansPro said:

How do you set marker defaults in End to End Dimensions or Point to Point dimensions? Is there such a setting?

One thing you can do is change your currently Active Marker Default to have a radius of zero.  This will carry through to your dimension markers and so you won't see them. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

One thing you can do is change your currently Active Marker Default to have a radius of zero.  This will carry through to your dimension markers and so you won't see them. 

Yes, that works, but not with what I'm trying to do. Video.........

9 minutes ago, PerryPlansPro said:

Yes, that works, but not with what I'm trying to do. Video.........

Ah, I see.  Those marker defaults are ignored during the cut and paste.  My bad...actually didn't test that.  I guess your best bet is to do what I do for my elevation views sometimes.  Cut, paste hold position, switch to the marker tool, and then group select all markers with a marquis while holding down the shift key...or by using the new Marquee Select Similar tool.  Then you can change those markers all at once. 

You could also do what I would do and just manually place a little line or point marker at those instances where you need them and then snap your dimension to that instead of the wall. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Ah, I see.  Those marker defaults are ignored during the cut and paste.  My bad...actually didn't test that.  I guess your best bet is to do what I do for my elevation views sometimes.  Cut, paste hold position, switch to the marker tool, and then group select all markers with a marquis while holding down the shift key...or by using the new Marquee Select Similar tool.  Then you can change those markers all at once. 

You could also do what I would do and just manually place a little line or point marker at those instances where you need them and then snap your dimension to that instead of the wall. 

That's what I usually end up doing after I've got all the dimensions adjusted. I don't like drawing CAD lines for extensions, but others have suggested the same thing. Maybe that's the quickest route.

54 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is my workaround also.