Interior Stair Visibility

ShannonJM

Hello! 

I'm working on a set of stairs that goes from the main floor up to the second floor. I have them modeled properly on the main floor, have an opening in the floor on the second floor, but when I got to the second floor plan view I do not see them. Everything looks good on the first floor plan and on the 3D, but nothing on the second floor. Just the rectangle for the floor opening.

I'm using Chief Architect Premier x11

17 minutes ago, ShannonJM said:

Hello! 

I'm working on a set of stairs that goes from the main floor up to the second floor. I have them modeled properly on the main floor, have an opening in the floor on the second floor, but when I got to the second floor plan view I do not see them. Everything looks good on the first floor plan and on the 3D, but nothing on the second floor. Just the rectangle for the floor opening.

I'm using Chief Architect Premier x11

Open the Stair dbx and set the display options for floor above. 

The "Floor Above Display" setting is only used if your stair has the breakline turned on.

Stairs will only appear automatically on the floor above if they are within an open below room.  If you don't have an open below room and you are using something else to create a hole in the platform, you would not see the stair on the floor below.

There are a number of other reasons why you might not see the stair but if you want a more helpful answer, then you should try posting the plan and I bet someone could figure it out pretty quickly.

HI Dermot,

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

The "Floor Above Display" setting is only used if your stair has the breakline turned on.

I can't understand why this is not automatic.  Standard Architectural graphic conventions should mean that it's should be the OOB default rather than otherwise.  I have set my Stair Defaults that way.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Stairs will only appear automatically on the floor above if they are within an open below room.

This should also be automatic if the stair is built from the lowest level to the top - or even if it's just copied from one floor to the next.

I think it's something that the software should be able to do without a separate tool.   If the stair reaches the next level then obviously the "Stairwell Tool" should be performed without user intervention.  The only house I've see where that wasn't true was the "Winchester House".

Can you explain why either of any of the above shouldn't be automatic?

Hey Dermot,

I've erased the polyline I used to create an opening in the floor, and instead drew a Room Divider wall. Setting that room as Open Below has fixed the visibility issues, well kind of. I see the stairs below, but the graphics aren't showing properly. The stairs are set to show Normal on the floor above, but they are showing as dashed lines. 

Also, I foresee the invisible wall conflicting with the railing that will be needed along the floor edge. Is this the only way I'm able to create a proper floor opening for a staircase? Or is there an easier way that I'm missing?