Modern Facade - How to

JMorelli

Hi All,

I have attached a photo of facade style which has become VERY common in Australia. In order to achieve the look I have been using polyline solids.

I was wondering if anyone has a means of achieving this type of model which would enable chief to generate the framing as well? Ideally I would like to be able to produce an accurate material take off.

Untitled-1.jpg

Here's something quick to make that look. Probably a different method from Eric. Made 3 floors. 2nd. floor balcony was defined as family to have same siding and made it a railing wall with railing removed. Glass railing is a railing wall with no room definition.

Chief house.jpg

Really like those examples Eric, Tommy. Was a good exercise duplicating the design intent but I think to truly answer the OP's question I think it would be good to know how it is to be built if indeed an accurate material list with framing is the intent.

Is the second floor structure and deck as thick as the illustration shows? Or is that a facade of sorts that hides the actual floor structure depth?

Roof and ceiling structure? How will that be built? Without that info any example from the excellent Chief users here is a bit moot, again if an accurate build method and material list is the goal.

I simply put a 24" floor system for the 2nd floor. Added a 3rd. floor with a ceiling height of 3' or so. A roof could be put on top of that. Just trying to duplicate the look. No specifics given.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:43 PM, tommy1 said:

Here's something quick to make that look. Probably a different method from Eric. Made 3 floors. 2nd. floor balcony was defined as family to have same siding and made it a railing wall with railing removed. Glass railing is a railing wall with no room definition.

Chief house.jpg

I hadn't thought of using the deck tools to achieve that. Good idea!

It wouldn't fully automate the framing model but it's part of the way there. There's more than one way to build this but having SOME of the framing generate without modelling each individual member is a big plus.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, JMorelli said:

I hadn't thought of using the deck tools to achieve that. Good idea!

It wouldn't fully automate the framing model but it's part of the way there. There's more than one way to build this but having SOME of the framing generate without modelling each individual member is a big plus.

Thanks!

Just so you know, I didn't use a deck tool. Look at my post again. Using the deck tool will give you a different outcome.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:54 AM, tommy1 said:

Just so you know, I didn't use a deck tool. Look at my post again. Using the deck tool will give you a different outcome.

Tommy- can you post your example plan.  We’d love to see how you accomplished this “look”

7 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Tommy- can you post your example plan.  We’d love to see how you accomplished this “look”

I'll check in a little while to see if I kept the plan. Probably deleted it.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, tommy1 said:

Yes thanks. I recreated it and figured that part out.

One question, by adding the 2nd floor, when you create a stairwell the stairs are not visible on the 3rd floor. How does everyone get around this? CAD lines?