Best way to model these exterior end walls

Evolution

11 hours ago, SNestor said:

The #2 key I reference in the video is used to "join" together two roof planes.  You click the ridge of one roof plane, then push #2 key, then click the ridge of the roof you want to join it with.  Same goes for valleys and hips.  

Federal Style Parapet Roof Design.plan

Thanks again Steve. I actually know how to joint roof planes using the (2) key.   It was the part where you grabbed the edge of one roof plan and dragged it past the  (wing wall) and created the first roof plan cap, in the video.  I grabbed the roof plan edge and hit the "Q" key, and was able to drag the edge over and create the roof plan (used for the cap). Your videos are soooooo helpful!.  

• Upvote 1

Great video again Steve, always good to learn.

Just curious, while watching the video I noticed that in your colour chooser the colours are displayed as pencils with a better selection of colour shades.

Is there a setting in Chief fo this or how do you set this function up?  

32 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Great video again Steve, always good to learn.

Just curious, while watching the video I noticed that in your colour chooser the colours are displayed as pencils with a better selection of colour shades.

Is there a setting in Chief fo this or how do you set this function up?  

That is just the standard color selection for a "MAC" computer.  A PC would look different.

Here's what the MAC color selection tool looks like...

2019-06-09_18-31-20.thumb.png.63d8f07269332a76b9c98882b5825651.png

Steve, I have watched the video you did to help me, starting a stopping at crucial points, working my model as I go along with your video.  I thought I was following you point by point and so far everything has worked the same way it is working for you in the video, except when I get to building the false chimneys.

I have my construction lines transferred up to the attic. I pulled the Conc Caps on the second floor roof level back (made from roof planes) and added the new roof cap on top of the chimney.

I also, made sure my attic walls are indeed attic walls, and go up to the attic level and grab my 6" brick wing wall and draw the wall same as you. It appears to be the same results.

Then back down to the roof level on 2,  I hit the "Q" key to grab the wall cap on floor 2 and drag it out to make the roof cap for the chimney, remove ridge cap, gutter, frieze board change material to concrete and draw the cap the same way you did and it all seems to be working fine. I open the wall dbx, transform replicate and raise it 48" (instead of the 60" you raised yours). Select the roof cap transform reflect about to place it on the other end.  But when I open the 3D, everything looks good, except the Chimneys?  I deleted everything from that point and watched your video again.....and swear I'm doing it the same way you are, but not getting the same results. Do you mind taking a look to see what step I may have missed?  

Orphanos Foundation Renovations.plan

CHIMNEY WON'T BUILD.png

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

Steve, I have watched the video you did to help me, starting a stopping at crucial points, working my model as I go along with your video.  I thought I was following you point by point and so far everything has worked the same way it is working for you in the video, except when I get to building the false chimneys.

I have my construction lines transferred up to the attic. I pulled the Conc Caps on the second floor roof level back (made from roof planes) and added the new roof cap on top of the chimney.

I also, made sure my attic walls are indeed attic walls, and go up to the attic level and grab my 6" brick wing wall and draw the wall same as you. It appears to be the same results.

Then back down to the roof level on 2,  I hit the "Q" key to grab the wall cap on floor 2 and drag it out to make the roof cap for the chimney, remove ridge cap, gutter, frieze board change material to concrete and draw the cap the same way you did and it all seems to be working fine. I open the wall dbx, transform replicate and raise it 48" (instead of the 60" you raised yours). Select the roof cap transform reflect about to place it on the other end.  But when I open the 3D, everything looks good, except the Chimneys?  I deleted everything from that point and watched your video again.....and swear I'm doing it the same way you are, but not getting the same results. Do you mind taking a look to see what step I may have missed?  

Orphanos Foundation Renovations.plan

CHIMNEY WON'T BUILD.png

Took a look at your latest and made you a video...

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

A cool way to cap your end gable/pediment or parapet walls with roof planes converted into concrete.

Another way to do end gable parapet walls, is in this excellent video by DS Hall.

How to do a flat roof parapet wall and cap the wall top. See this excellent offical Chief Architect video below.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1530/drawing-parapet-walls-with-a-flat-roof.html?playlist=95

And finally another excellent method, please see this official Chief Architect webinar.

These have been posted here to help anyone who searches parapet gable end walls in Chief Architect and how to do them.

Thank you to all who made these excellent videos above as they greatly help all of us Chief Architect users.