Bug Verify - Material region over angled windows

johnny

I just did a simple test with a window with one side shorter (angled top edge) and put a material region over it.  No problem ... the whole window shows. 

Is it possible that you have your material region covering a standard wall and an attic wall.  Still a problem if that's the case.  Sounds like something that might have to be sent in to TS.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

Is it possible that you have your material region covering a standard wall and an attic wall.  Still a problem if that's the case.  Sounds like something that might have to be sent in to TS.

Bingo - that was it.  I guess I didn't realize a material region acts differently on an attic wall.  

Thank you everyone for looking at this situation... i should have just posted the plan.

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just played with this. It does not seem to be related to an Attic wall. It happens on any wall if the window intrudes into the floor or ceiling platform. It seems that the material region does not recognize objects in those areas.

I must be something like the one @Dermot commented on recently with the outlet was not recognizing the cabinet generated back splash that was mounted to a separate wall.  I think he said the software was not quite smart enough to figure it out quite yet.

The material region behaviour is related to how windows work in X11.  For the first time, you can move a copy of a window installed on the first floor to the second floor.  The window itself, however, is still a first-floor window even if now installed on the second floor.  If you do a window schedule, you will see that the window is listed as a first-floor window.  What is more, if you use a material dropper on a window that was actually installed on the second floor to move object properties to the first floor copied window, the window will drop to the first floor leaving the window casing, and the opening in the wall in place.  The "moved" target window will be embedded in the first-floor wall with no frame and no opening.  

1056006496_StrangeWindowBehaviour.thumb.jpg.3c8cfe1cbde6af3ac2fc0a7c322df5cd.jpg

So if you create a material region over the second floor that covers both of the natively installed window and the copied window, in some cases, only the natively installed window will be cut in the material region.  This behaviour does not seem to be consistent, so what is going on is somewhat obscured.  

13 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

The material region behaviour is related to how windows work in X11.  For the first time, you can move a copy of a window installed on the first floor to the second floor.  The window itself, however, is still a first-floor window even if now installed on the second floor.  If you do a window schedule, you will see that the window is listed as a first-floor window.  What is more, if you use a material dropper on a window that was actually installed on the second floor to move object properties to the first floor copied window, the window will drop to the first floor leaving the window casing, and the opening in the wall in place.  The "moved" target window will be embedded in the first-floor wall with no frame and no opening.  

1056006496_StrangeWindowBehaviour.thumb.jpg.3c8cfe1cbde6af3ac2fc0a7c322df5cd.jpg

So if you create a material region over the second floor that covers both of the natively installed window and the copied window, in some cases, only the natively installed window will be cut in the material region.  This behaviour does not seem to be consistent, so what is going on is somewhat obscured.  

Just played with this, good catch. It only seems to happen if you do a copy paste in place and then drag the window up onto another floor. If you do a copy and then paste it on another floor then everything seems to work out fine.

• Upvote 1

It gets a bit more complicated if there is a material region spanning more than one floor. The material region even though it spans more than one floor is assigned 0nly to the floor based on it's start point when first drawn. Now if you try to paste a window from floor one onto floor two where the material region is it causes a problem as it seems to take the material regions floor assignment to locate the window, so it places it on floor 1 instead of floor 2.