Looking for best way to draw foundation plan

DRyeHD

I've looked for a thread on this topic but cannot find one.  Typical construction is CMU stem wall on footing and slab.

I would like to show outside edge of foundation block and all thickened slab areas (for bearing walls and posts).  I see the foundation block on floor "0" and the thickened slab (under bearing walls) and post footings on floor "1".  I would like to display all this on one layout and add dimensions for concrete, plumbing, and other under-slab work.

What is the best way to do this without redrawing a separate plan to accommodate these items?

19 hours ago, DRyeHD said:

...... I see the foundation block on floor "0" and the thickened slab (under bearing walls) and post footings on floor "1". .....

Funny,  I see it just the opposite.

• Upvote 1

After watching and reading several references this morning, I created a Foundation Plan View Set and referenced it to Floor 1 (see attached screen clip).  This lets me see everything I need to see, but I can't dimension to the Floor 1 reference items.

I would like to be able to dimension to the thickened slab and post footings - all on one plan view.  Will I just need to draw these items on a layer with CAD Lines for dimension purposes?  I have also attached the plan file if you need to look at it.

Your input is appreciated,

Rye_Home.plan

FndPlan ScreenShot.jpg

You are very close.  This is how I would do it. Put the CMU wall on a dashed layer and create a solid polyline with a concrete fill to give it a perimeter definition.

Not a perfect solution because it requires a cad line representing the SLAB.

1885853657_ScreenShot2019-05-24at8_34_34AM.thumb.png.98c7e0f813da3f00a61228e5c7a184c1.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DRyeHD said:

D. Scott Hall,

How did you get the inside main wall and foundation blocks to be dashed lines?

How did you get the inside main wall. USED DASH REF SET LAYER

foundation blocks to be dashed lines?  COPIED THE LAYER THE WALL ARE ON,  PUT THOSE WALL ON THAT LAYER ANS THEN MAKE THAT LAYER DASHED

1 hour ago, DRyeHD said:

I will look into that.  But will I still have to re-create the thickened slab runs and post footings on a separate (not referenced) layer to be able to dimension to them?

difficult question to answer,  many variables,  I usually make my own post footings and put them on foundation layer....  many ways and many variables...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the step-by-step on the Dash Ref Set Layer.  I'm about a month into learning Chief Architect and see I still have a long way to go to get proficient.  The videos and articles help but sometimes don't answer specifics.

Also thanks for the input on foundation plan dimensioning.  I've started the process as you described - making my own post footings and thickened slab areas.

I appreciate your input on this.  It's helped get past one more learning challenge!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend,