TwinMotion

R_Faber

Thought I would pass on this info, Unreal Engine recently purchased Twinmotion, they are offfering full version for free!

And it is yours to keep, they are offering it until Nov 2019, I have been using it with Chief for the past few months exporting from Chief 

with Collada files, and updates seamlessly when I reload the files in Twinmotion. Check it out! 

Front.png

• Upvote 2

I can’t go back to Raytrace anymore. 

I’ve been spoiled by TwinMotion.  

It’s not just all the features and ease of use, with all the real-time slider adjusting, its that the rendering time is a fraction of what it would take in Chief. 

And better results...

Chief Raytrace: 6 minutes

3B72987B-BA60-4E1A-BF3C-280EA23E7C0D.jpeg

TwinMotion: 40 seconds

F04DCCD2-CC8C-4189-9983-AF473D494F12.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Also for those who are worried about Chief not having Twinmotion as an add-on like it has in Revit or Archicad it’s really no big deal and works almost the same. If you make a change in your model in Chief all you do is hit the update button on the import tab in Twinmotion and the change will be incorporated automatically. Your Chief model stays where it is in TM with all the work you’ve done preserved. 

Here’s a tutorial showing the procedure with Sketchup (identical scenario with Chief):

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done any interior renders in Twinmotion? I'm just curious as I tried it and when I exported in .dae format, (I have HD Pro so I only have the .dae "collada" file format).

When TM imports the model, it will import everything, including the chandelier and or pendant light, however recessed can lights, will not show up.

Ideas?

29 minutes ago, Timeless_16 said:

When TM imports the model, it will import everything, including the chandelier and or pendant light, however recessed can lights, will not show up.

It looks like the default material for ceilings in Chief is the same as the color used for the trim rings of the can lights which may be causing the issue.  Also the "Lighting White" lens may not be a recognized material.  Change those up and try the export again and there should not be any issues with exporting as .dae as opposed to .3ds

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It looks like the default material for ceilings in Chief is the same as the color used for the trim rings of the can lights which may be causing the issue.  Also the "Lighting White" lens may not be a recognized material.  Change those up and try the export again and there should not be any issues with exporting as .dae as opposed to .3ds

I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks.

10 hours ago, Timeless_16 said:

I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks.

Would be interesting to see how this goes. There has been considerable discussion about Twinmotion, some very enthusiastic, but so far I have not seen any interior renderings, just exterior which are much easier to do as these only involve the sun.

24 minutes ago, Timeless_16 said:

Tried this morning and same thing, only had a sliver of one of the recessed light rings, but everything else including the rest of the fixtures were gone. At this point. I think I'm going to stick with HD Pro PBR and see what happens.

I believe that if you are going to export a CA model for use in an independent renderer such as Twinmotion you need to create your CA model and assign CA materials with this in mind. It seems to me that in the conversion(export) process is not dissimilar to saving a symbol, individual surfaces are defined based upon the materials assigned to those surfaces. So like a symbol, if it has only one material when it is saved then it sees all surfaces as being one, if the symbol has 5 different materials when saved then it is seen as having 5 individual surfaces(components). So if you have a house model and all your ceilings, walls and trim are bone when you export then the program that imports this will not separate out the ceiling, walls and trim, if you then apply a new material all of those items will change and you will not be able to apply different materials to each surface. Maybe different in other rendering programs but this is what I noticed when playing with Twinmoition.

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, R_Faber said:

Thought I would pass on this info, Unreal Engine recently purchased Twinmotion, they are offfering full version for free!

And it is yours to keep, they are offering it until Nov 2019, I have been using it with Chief for the past few months exporting from Chief 

with Collada files, and updates seamlessly when I reload the files in Twinmotion. Check it out! 

Front.png

This looks great! I downloaded twinmotion the other day and I'm having a hard time with it. First, the materials are extremely limited. Not sure if it downloaded incorrectly or what but I was expecting lots of textures and materials. I went to get a lap siding and there was one to choose from and it did not resemble any lap siding we and most of America uses today (hard-board) It looked sort of like a bad cedar lap siding. Same with brick. there was only about eight to choose from and only one looked like a normal size brick (and I didn't like the look of it) Stone same issue... Are we supposed to import more materials to TM because I was starting to think now I know why its free, its not the full version? I am willing to be corrected I am probably not doing something write. Any advise would be great. I need a better way to make a rendering look real. 

5 hours ago, DH7777 said:

I downloaded twinmotion the other day and I'm having a hard time with it. First, the materials are extremely limited. Not sure if it downloaded incorrectly or what but I was expecting lots of textures and materials. I went to get a lap siding and there was one to choose from and it did not resemble any lap siding we and most of America uses today (hard-board) It looked sort of like a bad cedar lap siding. Same with brick. there was only about eight to choose from and only one looked like a normal size brick (and I didn't like the look of it) Stone same issue... Are we supposed to import more materials to TM because I was starting to think now I know why its free, its not the full version? I am willing to be corrected I am probably not doing something write. Any advise would be great. I need a better way to make a rendering look real. 

You can easily create new materials, and there are a number of videos on how to do this, e.g. 

Hi. 
Do you have to use any plugin for TwinMotion?  When I try to import .dae to TW the files is greyed out and I cannot chose it. 

I’ve read that other CA users have the same problem on the TW forum, but haven’t seen any solution yet. 

• 1 month later...

I've looked all over the net tonight and can't find an answer to this one. Anyone know.......

I was on the Epic Games website today and downloaded a bunch of free texture libraries and a few plugins for the Unreal Engine. Can Twinmotion access these additional downloaded libraries? Or do you have to import each texture individually? I don't see a link between the texture libraries of the two programs. Does TM only use the rendering engine and not really use the textures? 

If not, then it seems you might have to start your Chief import to Unreal Engine, apply textures, then export/import to Twinmotion?

3 minutes ago, Alchemyjim said:

Here is one I just started. I created the model in Chief then exported to Twin Motion. Still needs some work but it is getting close.

Looks good but surprised to see the Z fighting on the fascia board.  Possibly a model issue ?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...