Custom Mono-Stringer Stair

Alytaldesigns

Hello,

I am working on a custom staircase design and have been unable to create it via the staircase tool (If anyone has done something similar with it some tips would be appreciated) so I decided to create it using landings. I have been able to get the shape needed to be code compliant but am running into a few issues.

The tread is going to be inserted into a brass casing so the top will show as wood but the sides will show as brass. Is there a way to remove the nosing on a stair landing like you can with the stair tool? I have been unable to find this option. (Worst case scenario I can just create a polyline solid underneath each and shrink the landing to where it looks like that. I just want to save some time on this if possible).

Is it possible to create a stringer or something comparable without the stair tool? The design is going to using a single stringer centered on the steps.

I would prefer to do everything in chief but if need be, I have access to other tools to create it, I just figure it may save some time if anyone has a technique that may do it quicker.

Thank you

71910254_CustomStringer.thumb.jpg.bacba82e061d84b3a30db76aeb255021.jpg

search the Forum for Posts on spiral staircases which from the image this appears to be ?

typically they don't use a single centered support stringer though and the treads are instead anchored to the central post on their inner edge.

M.

No matter what way you try and build that stair, it will take a lot of work - or is that example more complicated than your actual stair?

You can use a Curved Stair with the Single Stringer option.

You can control the depth of the stringer with the Stringer Bottom setting.

New Image_144.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 4:40 AM, Chopsaw said:

He might show up if you call him. This is definitely his thing. @yusuf-333

Thanks chop, Here I am ..I was just thinking about getting back to the great chieftalk community. Glad to get your call..fingers crossed. Let me just look at the op. Thank u.

16 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I guess you have been busy, but we sure miss your input. I really like how you are one who "thinks outside the box." :)

Ok ridge thanks again. I was making custumized stairs. If you need one, let me lnow. Here are the stair symbols I have been doing this types in no time.

Only for 100USD$ if there is any one looking to get symbols like those.

Thank you

SSA P2.jpg

SSA P8.jpg

Thanks, Yusuf. I don't need one, but the original poster (OP) was looking for help in doing one with a large, center stringer. The OP hasn't commented back yet so they may have found a way to do what they needed. You might want to post these examples and your rate above in the "Offering Services" forum for anyone looking at this thread at a later date; might get some business.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Thanks, Yusuf. I don't need one, but the original poster (OP) was looking for help in doing one with a large, center stringer. The OP hasn't commented back yet so they may have found a way to do what they needed. You might want to post these examples and your rate above in the "Offering Services" forum for anyone looking at this thread at a later date; might get some business.

Thanks Ridge.

I had tried for a few days to get the stairs to work with just the stair tool but was unable to get the curves that I was needing to meet the requirements. The main issues were on the first few steps where we have the large sweeping curve followed by the tight spiral above, and the front of the 1st few steps of the stairs being directly below the last few steps.

At the moment I am trying to create just a stringer type item that fits underneath the stairs. I know in chief it easy to manipulate in 2 dimensions but the stringer on this stair moves in 3 dimensions and arcs which is always a bit more challenging. At the moment the best way I have been able to make it work was using a 3d molded polyline segmented (Converted to symbols) where each curve point occurs to get the right run. The problem is at all the joints of the polylines never line up well. 

I am attaching an updated image based on where I stand at the moment. In the end I have a feeling I am going to have to import this into a different program to finalize the stringer but would prefer to do it all in chief if possible.

649087688_UpdatedStairconceptv3.thumb.jpg.4532eea3a512f7ef3d3cc255720e7116.jpg2006769619_UpdatedStairconceptv2.thumb.jpg.1cdeab9b9fd62e158b3ebcc204c568a6.jpg

You can replicate your stairs and change materials and settings to get the desired end result. I've made complex spiral stairs (but not quite as complex as yours) that way using multiples of the "same" stairs, one stairs just for treads, one just for the stringer, one just for the railing, and so on. They can be group selected and converted to a fixture if needed.

The spiral stair makes nicer curved than the 3D molding IMO.

I think I was able to get it together. In the end I imported everything as a symbol into the plan because building it in the plan became too complex.

I ended up building the treads out of staircase landings and adding a polyline solid underneath each landing as the metal casing. I ended up having to build it with 5+ floors so the railing could remain continuous (it kept trying to jump between landings that were stacked onto each other, having them on different floors fixed this issue).

I created railings that followed the slope of the stairs to get the rough railing in there (I will be cleaning it up and will surely have to fix some arter the fact in photoshop).

This was where I was at the previous post. At this point i created a symbol from the model and created a second plan. In the second plan I manually created a staircase tread by tread following the shape of the symbol. This allowed me a lot of flexibility in creating the shape of the stringer. It is not perfect contours but it is fairly close for render purposed. I then turn all textures except for the stringer into an air gap texture to hide it. I then thrned that into a symbol and placed it into the plan from there.

This definitely was not the easiest way to make it but after some polishing I think this will end up working out.

Here are a few images of how it is turning out. Once I finalize the concepts i will upload them.

626964912_ConceptStair4.thumb.jpg.586648654bc7c1fa623feac0219607f2.jpg1917449780_ConceptStair1.thumb.jpg.4725d69ef4f6140f6531ee63ec71f5ba.jpg1190906381_ConceptStair3.thumb.jpg.d1234e9708dbda1e8c42a3d478288b5d.jpg

Concept Stair 3.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, Alytaldesigns said:

I think I was able to get it together. In the end I imported everything as a symbol into the plan because building it in the plan became too complex.

I ended up building the treads out of staircase landings and adding a polyline solid underneath each landing as the metal casing. I ended up having to build it with 5+ floors so the railing could remain continuous (it kept trying to jump between landings that were stacked onto each other, having them on different floors fixed this issue).

I created railings that followed the slope of the stairs to get the rough railing in there (I will be cleaning it up and will surely have to fix some arter the fact in photoshop).

This was where I was at the previous post. At this point i created a symbol from the model and created a second plan. In the second plan I manually created a staircase tread by tread following the shape of the symbol. This allowed me a lot of flexibility in creating the shape of the stringer. It is not perfect contours but it is fairly close for render purposed. I then turn all textures except for the stringer into an air gap texture to hide it. I then thrned that into a symbol and placed it into the plan from there.

This definitely was not the easiest way to make it but after some polishing I think this will end up working out.

Here are a few images of how it is turning out. Once I finalize the concepts i will upload them.

626964912_ConceptStair4.thumb.jpg.586648654bc7c1fa623feac0219607f2.jpg1917449780_ConceptStair1.thumb.jpg.4725d69ef4f6140f6531ee63ec71f5ba.jpg1190906381_ConceptStair3.thumb.jpg.d1234e9708dbda1e8c42a3d478288b5d.jpg

Concept Stair 3.jpg

Great, you r almost there. If you want more customized ones, you can shoot me pm. Any how, I just gave try one that resembles yours.. So I think its ok.

ss 2.jpg

ss 3.jpg