Interior Garden

Ravenquills

Hello:

I have created a glassed in "porch" area and I would like to put an interior garden in it, almost like a small zen garden. The house has a monolithic slab foundation and I am unsure how to go about this since i do not want a room filled with potted plants, I want the ability to create a miniature landscape while still having it be conditioned and inside the enclosed "porch" area. I think the answer is probably going to be incredibly obvious and I will feel like an idiot when someone else provides it but regardless, any and all suggestions welcome.

Here is what i think needs to be done:

1. Ensure there is fall on the floor to strategically placed floor drains.
  2. Waterproof the sills
  3. Fill the area with gravel to ensure proper drainage to the floor drains
  4. Create the interior landscape/garden

As above any and all suggestions welcome.

Chief Architect Premier X10 is my current version

I assume this is more a design question than a Chief question. I would design it like a blue/green vegetated roof: slab - protection board - waterproof membrane - root barrier - protection fabric - drainage layer - filter fleece - growth media. For the drainage layer I recommend a drainage board which will provide a greater open volume than gravel; if you opt for gravel I recommend AASHTO #57 open-graded, self-compacting aggregate covered with a separation geotextile fabric. Don't forget to account for the high relative humidity within the enclosed space.

• Upvote 1

You might try making a room polyline from the Glassed in room you created, then convert it to a terrain feature as far as 

1. Ensure there is fall on the floor etc.Using the make room polyline and converting it to a terrain feature,  I would possibly make a layer specific to the "garden room" and turn off unnecessary items (if there are any) that you don't wish to show. This is the simplest in my mind. Notes as needed.

2. I think that can be handled by noting it on the floor plan, but you can do a section through the room, do a cad detail from view and then add any special features.

3. That too can be done by changing the material of the terrain feature to a stone or pebble texture from the Library

4. Use the library to find the items you wish to place.

Using poly solids you can add borders, edging?, vary pathways etc. (I believe).

I'd like think this is the best more direct way, but Hopefully the Guru's will jump in and give you an even better idea or even more simpler way to do it?

8 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I assume this is more a design question than a Chief question

I think you answered the question very thoroughly, I suppose it is more of a design question than a Chief question. My goal is to make sure this is detailed properly for material lists , final blueprints and building instructions. So i posted it here, should I have posted it elsewhere?

Thanks Much

Best

a

Evolution:

I think your reply will make sense for the design portion, I want to also insure my plans and drawing are correct and give good instructions for the actual construction. Although frankly as someone who has been in construction I know the hardest part will be getting people to follow them. It is one of the reasons I got out of the the field LOL

Best

a

2 minutes ago, Ravenquills said:

So i posted it here, should I have posted it elsewhere?

There really isn't a "most suitable" forum on this site for design-related questions. You could try the Chatroom, I suppose.