complicated roof designs

lghaney

I'm currently working on a render for a builder. I didn't create the design. I'm only doing a rendering for his client, and I'm have a tough time getting the roof right. Roofs are not my strong point anyway and this one is eating my lunch! ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5859.PNG

I've been working in Chief for many years, but it was mostly interiors. I'm now doing renderings for builders and having problems with roofs. I've watched tons of videos on Chief website and YouTube, but I still have trouble if the plan is complicated. I would love to do some training with someone who is proficient with roofs. Does anyone know of anyone who offers private classes or lessons?

Thanks

I gave it a shot.  Just FYI...the floor plan has a lot of issues; you need to set your ceilings heights in defaults and then "reset" all your defaults.  I've attached my plan so you can review.  As Eric mentioned...not sure of roof pitches, plate heights etc...so, this is just a guess attempt.  

barrick_new_build_11_Nestor Fix 1.plan

2019-05-20_20-38-42.thumb.png.ff1be2a37082990771ea70ddc9cea1d7.png

Sorry for the slow response. I was at work. That's really close. Thank you so much for the help. If you ever want to tutor, I need to really learn how to do roofs in Chief. I can get the basics, but when it starts throwing out crazy angles and pitches I can't always modify them and get it right. Thanks again!!

47 minutes ago, lghaney said:

Would love to see a video of how made this work.

Can you give us some specs regarding this design?   

Such as;  desired general ceiling height,  how tall the garage ceilings are...and how much the garage floor drops.  Is there a 2nd floor or just very tall attics?  And...anything else you can think of.  

1 hour ago, lghaney said:

Would love to see a video of how made this work.

Just FYI.  This roof isn’t easy for someone that knows how to build roofs...and use the software.  

Also...this roof is really not the greatest design.  However I realize you are just trying to duplicate the builders plans.  

Thanks to everyone and thank you for the video. It was a big help. I think I might have gone in and changed ceiling heights to try to get the roof to work. That probably caused problems for people trying to help. The front gables are higher because those ceiling heights should have been higher. My fault there.