Newel Offset

BryceEngstrom

In a Post to Beam railing wall, why aren't the newels draw in the Main Wall Layer?  What determines where they are drawn?  If I change the Offset on the newels to get them lined up with the Main Layer, then it isn't lined up with the Beam/Rail above.  If I screw with the wall definition, I lose my stucco finish along the out side perimeter of this roof deck.

Newel Offset.JPG

Same as the stucco exterior wall per the 3D view.  And, that is the way I would want it, and the way it would likely be built.  I have toyed with the wall def, but the outside edge stucco disappears, or the stucco deck edge doesn't die into the wall behind it, etc.  Why aren't the newels just drawn in the center of the main layer, or on one edge of that or the other, and offset if desired from there?

Wall Def.JPG

Do you have any invisible layers in the Wall definition for the Railing ?   .....as I thought Newels always centered themselves on the Wall thickness ( not main layer)

Ie make a 7" wide wall and the 3 1/2 Newel will still center on it.......

45 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Do you have any invisible layers in the Wall definition for the Railing ?   .....as I thought Newels always centered themselves on the Wall thickness ( not main layer)

Ie make a 7" wide wall and the 3 1/2 Newel will still center on it.......

No invisible layers.  If it's true it centers on the total wall width, that seems nonsensical to me.  This is not the way it would be built. Post/beam framing would want to center on the wall framing below.  I really want/need my wall layers to match.

This is something that has annoyed me for years, especially when I send the CAD over to structural and the newels don't show correctly in plan.

Plan attached. Thank you.

Newel Offset.zip

Newel Offset 2.JPG

10 minutes ago, BryceEngstrom said:

If it's true it centers on the total wall width, that seems nonsensical to me.

Chief's typical Railing Wall is a single layer framing only Wall Type , so I am guessing the "centering" is hardcoded with the option to Offset if needed and it appears in the case of your test plan the newels are exactly centered on your 7 1/2" wall .

For what you are doing eg in the OP I would use a PonyWall , Stucco 6 on the bottom and my Railing on the Top (Post to Beam), you can play with the wall align buttons if posts are not centered. Make sure to show the lower wall in Plan view so you can see the alignment to the Main house ...... here the newel height is set to 0" so it goes to the beam , not sure why that worked :)

image.thumb.png.131fca33aaf4f2c1f4e29c662369d2f8.png

On 5/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, solver said:

Not sure what you want, but this centers the newels on the main layer of the wall by increasing the thickness of the drywall layer.

ct1.thumb.png.77b8c173848c36699941c7b4ff8c8e7f.pngct2.thumb.png.f207c213fe0065b7491f73ede4999124.png

By making this revised wall definition unique to the railing wall, this appears to be a good solution, thank you.  Will send in a feature request to fix this, which seems really non-sensical to me.

7 hours ago, BryceEngstrom said:

By making this revised wall definition unique to the railing wall, this appears to be a good solution, thank you.  Will send in a feature request to fix this, which seems really non-sensical to me.

I'm not quite sure I understand. Why do you need the additional layers? Am I miss understanding your question?

I'm not having a problem with the post not lining up.

Capture.thumb.PNG.f02bb1dc77b0183ffa4eaaa6b7d734ac.PNG

1 minute ago, builtright3 said:

Why do you need the additional layers?

It is a little more like an interior railing looking over an open below room the way he has a second floor balcony and that requires skirting from the extra railing layers.  Otherwise your single layer railing is the way to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It is a little more like an interior railing looking over an open below room the way he has a second floor balcony and that requires skirting from the extra railing layers.  Otherwise your single layer railing is the way to go.

OK, I see the difference. Thank You

2 hours ago, BryceEngstrom said:

This is what happens when you try to use a single layer wall def for a railing in this condition.

Single Layer Railing Wall Def.JPG

You would still need to build the framing.....( if auto is off ?) then you'd see the (Rim) Joists, but this is not a Deck ( as CA sees it though) make the "room" a Balcony.

I am not sure why you are stuck on a "single layer wall" for the Railing? it isn't built like that ITRW either, ( if it was built this way in the RW of course ie adding the Raililng Wall built the Floor system too :) ) add the same thickness of stucco (and osb) to the exterior side of a new ( copied) Deck Railing Walltype and it all seems to work just fine to me.

Do the same with a Straight Deck edge (no railing) and add a second straight railing ( mark walls as furred) and that would work for your 12" round column look too.

Perhaps I am missing something though? pics below....

M.

image.thumb.png.08e3eef95eee68f1d6a1220bd64aaf8f.pngimage.thumb.png.71881f5c0ab8ae24beea63337abb1240.png