Electronic signatures on plans

JNWArchitect

Just thought i'd share my solution to getting a signature on my layouts so that I don't have to manually sign each sheet when submitted to the local building departments.

I scanned my signature and saved it as a ,png file. Then defined my watermark to use that .png file and set it up so that it appears just above my license stamp.

(That involves sizing, rotating & placing it so it appears how & where I need it.)

Turn it off when printing for 'unsigned' plans and turn it on for 'signed' sets.

Made my life a lot easier!

The local jurisdictions in my area (Northern California) are accepting electronic signatures OR wet signatures. You may want to check with your area to be sure that 'wet-only' are required. I think that most will now allow electronic. Sure saves time for me!

8 minutes ago, JNWArchitect said:

You may want to check with your area to be sure that 'wet-only' are required. I think that most will now allow electronic. Sure saves time for me! 

I find that sometimes asking is the thing that triggers the requirement.  I typically just provide the electronic signature and wait for them to ask for something else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JNWArchitect said:

The old "better to ask for forgiveness afterwards, than ask for approval prior"? 

No.  I don't ascribe to that method.  This is a little different.  It's just not inviting the opportunity for someone to say no.  Truth is that many times, no one cares...it's only when you offer the option that it starts to matter. 

Scenario 1

DAD:  "Hey kids we're going to McDonalds."

KIDS:  "YAY!!! We love you daddy!!"

Scenario 2

DAD:  "Hey kids, do you want to go to McDonald's or Disneyland?"

I think you can probably see where this is going.

21 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I find that sometimes asking is the thing that triggers the requirement.  I typically just provide the electronic signature and wait for them to ask for something else. 

I agree and do the same thing. Its been at least a year since I have been asked for a wet stamp or signature.

Thanks for the Tip!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've, well, my Engineer has dealt with the wet signature issue with several jurisdictions.  What he found was that according to the Professional Code, electronic signatures must be accepted.  Unless, the jurisdiction had codified the requirement for wet signatures.  I can get access to the reference in the professional code if anyone needs it.

A couple jurisdictions were adamant about the wet signature requirement until, we shared the reference in the professional code.  They had no choice but to capitulate.