Foundation/Footing under garage & crawl space

Bill_n

Hello fellow CA users

I am thinking of buying chief Architect and have been watching videos on youtube. I'm currently using Autocad 2007., (I know, old school!) If you were to build a garage under the main structure along with a partial crawl space  behind the garage, how would you draw the garage and crawl space, add the footing and then step the crawl space area? I have watched the D.S Hall videos, the Grandview Project videos, chief tutor videos and other videos on creating a foundation for a garage, but no one has addressed each on their on layers respectively. Can that be done? I would hate to purchase chief and then not be able to draw something as simple as this.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your response.

Bill

I create my basement/garage-under level as level 1.  Main floor is on level 2.  It gives a lot of flexibility without a lot of hoops to jump through.  We do lots of walk-out basements here so my template is set up this way.  

Maureen, I don't do basements here in Houston, but I've heard that your approach is a much easier way to work with this. I also assume you put your terrain on the 2nd level. That would sound logical to me.

1 minute ago, tommy1 said:

...... I also assume you put your terrain on the 2nd level. That would sound logical to me.

Since we now have the ability to create multiple ref sets,  putting the terrain on different levels is an option.

I am experimenting putting the terrain on level zero.  The advantage of this is a FLOOR OVERVIEW of level zero will also show the terrain.  If the terrain was on level 1 or 2 or above,  the terrain would not be visible from a floor overview of level zero.  This way it is easier to see how the terrain works with the foundation.

It is a little cumbersome doing it this way,  I have done it on 3 jobs and so far I do see the advantages but there is some time involved getting comfortable with this method.

BTW,  I do as Maureen does....  putting basement/walk out basement on level 1.  This way any mono slab/footings seem to work well on level zero.  I did a GTM with Michael on this and I think we both came to the same conclusion as Moe.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all who replied. I will download the trial version and see if I can manipulate the drawing by putting the garage and crawl space on level one, the main floor on level two. I'll build the foundation on level zero and see if I can step the crawlspace and foundation so it shows going uphill.

Again, Thanks!!!

Bill_n

20 hours ago, tommy1 said:

Maureen, I don't do basements here in Houston, but I've heard that your approach is a much easier way to work with this. I also assume you put your terrain on the 2nd level. That would sound logical to me.

I put my terrain on level 1.  Due to poor soils we often have to build the septic system at or above grade. We build up the front grade for the septic system.  The back and one (or both) ends of the house are at grade forcing the garage on the basement level.  There's often a mud room and windows/doors for future finish in the basement.  The terrain on level 1 works great with those conditions.  If the garage is at grade (level 2), having the terrain on level 1 isn't ideal, but it's so easy to work around that I leave it on level 1.  

As Scott noted, floor overviews are another reason to keep the terrain on level 1.  The other big plus for me is the terrain heights are mostly positive.  It's just more logical for me.

I work this way even if I don't have any need to show the basement plan.