Material Painter & Object Selection in 3D View

Jarr3tt88

Hello All,

I have been having an issue with my 3D for a very long time, and I am getting sick of these issues.

My issue is this. In 3D view, whenever I try to match a material with the material painter & eyedropper, randomly, on some files, the material will select a completely different material and paint it wrong. I try to select siding and it paints grass. Or it will select the wrong material and paint the wrong item. I try to paint a wall and it paints the window instead. I have no idea what causes this issue, it is random. Sometimes the file works great, then stops working. I won't be able to paint anything correctly with the eyedropper/material painter. Then I have to use the elevation view to paint what needs to be painted, which is slow and wasteful of time.

Another issue I have again randomly in 3D view, I try to select a window and it won't let me or it selects a roof plane instead. I try to adjust my grass pad and I cannot select the edge to move it, all in the 3D view.

I hope someone can help me. I am currently using X8 version. I can put a file, but I am unsure if this will help, sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't. Thank you in advance for the help!

My best guess is that this is the result of a problem with your video card or the driver.  You may find some helpful information in this tech article:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

One other thing you might try to do is pay attention to the information in the status bar when using the material painter or eyedropper.  It should indicate which object and material you are picking up.  This information may help you to avoid picking up the wrong object.  Given that I think you have a problem with your system, I have no way of knowing whether or not this will help.

If all else fails, you may want to contact tech support during normal business hours on Monday.

19 hours ago, Dermot said:

My best guess is that this is the result of a problem with your video card or the driver.  You may find some helpful information in this tech article:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

One other thing you might try to do is pay attention to the information in the status bar when using the material painter or eyedropper.  It should indicate which object and material you are picking up.  This information may help you to avoid picking up the wrong object.  Given that I think you have a problem with your system, I have no way of knowing whether or not this will help.

If all else fails, you may want to contact tech support during normal business hours on Monday.

I don't think it would be my video card considering the 3D starts working correctly in my template file. It only starts happening later, randomly. Most of the time and most of the files I can use the 3D as intended. 

To be fair, I've used the program for 15 years. I know which material I am selecting. I am clicking directly on the material and it selects something else randomly. I did not know about the status bar, so thank you. I will try to look there and see if it is trying to select another material instead. I did notice, I tried to re-create the issue again this morning, and when it happened I went from "maximized" view in windows to "restore down" and that fixed the material painter. Does that information help? It's also based on the angle of the model sometimes. If I am high in overview camera, it will start misselecting materials after working correctly.

My computer specs are far beyond the minimum requirements.

AMD FX 9590 8-core processor 4.7GHz

32 RAM (I believe DDR3)

GeForce GTX 960 4GB

You may also want to try downloading the X11 trial version to see if the same behavior still happens.  If it doesn't, than this could indicate that the problem was from an old bug that has since been fixed.  If it does still happen, this would be another indicator that it is something specific to your system as I am not aware of any current reports of problems that would cause this.