Pony Wall Display for Different Layer Sets

EconBlueprints

Next issue...
Foundation with pony wall.
Upper Wall 2x6 with siding

Lower wall concrete, 8".
I created a new  concrete wall and changed the fill pattern to an angle hatch pattern.  I want this to display for the lowered concrete wall. I named it "concrete pony wall".

I changed the pony wall to have the "Concrete pony wall" as the lower wall.

In the Foundation Layer Set, I set the pony wall to display "lower wall".  Exactly what I wanted, as the full height wall fill pattern is concrete, and the dropped concrete wall fill pattern is an angle hatch.  I saved the layer set so everything associated with this layer set is saved with it. Or at least that was the plan.

The trouble comes when I switch to the Framing layer set.  If I switch the pony wall to display the upper portion of the pony wall, it also switches the foundation layer set to show the upper portion.  I thought the idea of layer sets was to be able to save all settings so each set would show only what you want it to show.
How can I save each set to show the different pony wall displays?

Thanks,

Lane

The pony wall "Display in Plan View" setting is not stored in your layer sets so changing layer sets will have no affect on this.  The default setting that you can specify in your pony wall defaults is stored with saved plan views and layout boxes though.  This means that as long as all of your pony walls in the plan are set to "Default", you should be able to have different saved plan views with different defaults.

21 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The pony wall "Display in Plan View" setting is not stored in your layer sets so changing layer sets will have no affect on this.  The default setting that you can specify in your pony wall defaults is stored with saved plan views and layout boxes though.  This means that as long as all of your pony walls in the plan are set to "Default", you should be able to have different saved plan views with different defaults.

This is a really important feature of Chief. Not that easy to grasp but allows for amazing flexibility in plan views.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure I understand how that works.  When I switch from the foundation plan to the framing plan and vice versa it automatically switches the pony wall to the previous plan view.  So I cannot even get to having different layout views for the pony wall.

In the past, I saved the entire plan with a "save as" then named it foundation plan for "xx".  that way I could send the different  plan views to the different layout views.  

Saved Plan Views will respect different settings like you want. You need to set up different SPVs for the views you want to have different effects on the pony wall view. Once a SPV is created, go into Defaults > Walls > Pony Wall, and set the view you want for that SPV. Do this for each SPV. Then make sure that the pony wall setting for "Display in Plan View" is set to Default for all SPVs.

• 4 months later...

"Then make sure that the pony wall setting for "Display in Plan View" is set to Default for all SPVs."

Man am I struggling with this. I have tried this multiple times but it will not stick. I open a plan view, set my pony wall default as I want them per the layout. Set the pony walls themselves per the layout. save and put the plan view away go to the other layout that has the pony walls on it and they are changed to what I do not want. 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Many Thanks

My best guess is that you have missed a step or made a mistake somewhere.  You could post your plan and someone on this forum might be able to figure out what is wrong.  You could also try contacting technical support but this is one of those areas that might be considered more of a training issue than a technical problem.

I have attached a plan and layout that demonstrate how to set this up.  

The plan has 3 pony wall segments:

One is set to use the pony wall defaults.

One is set to display the upper wall only.

One is set to display the lower wall only.

The plan has 3 saved plan views with the pony wall defaults set differently for each one.  If you open, each saved plan view, you should see the differences.

I have also included a layout file with each of the saved plan views sent to layout.

pony wall display.layout

pony wall display.plan

pony wall display.png

6 hours ago, dchaley369 said:

"Then make sure that the pony wall setting for "Display in Plan View" is set to Default for all SPVs."

Man am I struggling with this. I have tried this multiple times but it will not stick. I open a plan view, set my pony wall default as I want them per the layout. Set the pony walls themselves per the layout. save and put the plan view away go to the other layout that has the pony walls on it and they are changed to what I do not want. 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Many Thanks

So when you're in a Saved Plan View, go to Defaults and select Walls > Pony Wall, and choose the view type you want to see in that Saved Plan View. Then, open the pony wall in your plan, and under the Wall Types tab make sure it is set to display the DEFAULT view. Then SAVE THE PLAN VIEW.

I suspect you are not saving the settings in the plan view after setting up the default. Either that, or your Layout view is using a different plan view source. Check everything carefully.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, EconBlueprints said:

Next issue...
Foundation with pony wall.
Upper Wall 2x6 with siding

Lower wall concrete, 8".
I created a new  concrete wall and changed the fill pattern to an angle hatch pattern.  I want this to display for the lowered concrete wall. I named it "concrete pony wall".

I changed the pony wall to have the "Concrete pony wall" as the lower wall.

In the Foundation Layer Set, I set the pony wall to display "lower wall".  Exactly what I wanted, as the full height wall fill pattern is concrete, and the dropped concrete wall fill pattern is an angle hatch.  I saved the layer set so everything associated with this layer set is saved with it. Or at least that was the plan.

The trouble comes when I switch to the Framing layer set.  If I switch the pony wall to display the upper portion of the pony wall, it also switches the foundation layer set to show the upper portion.  I thought the idea of layer sets was to be able to save all settings so each set would show only what you want it to show.
How can I save each set to show the different pony wall displays?

Thanks,

Lane

Lane...

I did a couple of videos on this topic a while back...you might want to watch this one.