What rendering style/combo is Chief using on their home page?

Michael_Gia

4 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

It's technical illustration that has has the background manipulated to match the green theme. 

That's my take.

How do they get the shadows to be that pale green?

The background then is an image with a gradient created in some photo editing software? Can it be created within Chief?

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

How do they get the shadows to be that pale green?

The background then is an image with a gradient created in some photo editing software? Can it be created within Chief?

You can change the cool and warm colours in the technical options of the technical illustration. My guess is that they changed them to a pale green. 

I found an image on their home page that was clearly photo-shopped and impossible to re-create in Chief alone, though it was implied that it was Chief that created the image.

Not saying that's true here, but I e-mailed them asking them to be a little more truthful in their marketing and to show Chief's capabilities not Chief's and Photo Shop or other added software techniques. Just sayin' it's been done before...

Create a gradient background in your favorite image editor:

bgnd.thumb.PNG.ecd32d6bc6e1133d85e5004b7b3e1684.PNG

Create the camera and set the technique options:

dbx.thumb.PNG.53c6953d725bb4683608e18ee4f3d80f.PNG

Get the result:

result.thumb.jpg.a1199a1625a3fb22bfdeb8168dea8d21.jpg

The only thing I'm stumped on is how they achieved the grey shadows on the terrain.

2 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Get the result:

The only thing I'm stumped on is how they achieved the grey shadows on the terrain.

That’s a lot closer than I got by a mile. 

Impressive. 

Also the pale green used for the cool color seems to have a transparency set to very low that I just can’t duplicate even with the eye dropper on a similar color. 

6 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Get the result:

Nice Robert, and clearly doable with added manipulation with 'other' software but the implication is still the same from a customer's point of view and to me that implication is, "Buy Chief, achieve this look for your plans." But can you simply buy Chief and achieve that look? I don't think so and I don't like the marketing technique...but maybe that's acceptable in today's world of over hype and over sell?

• Upvote 1

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Nice Robert, and clearly doable with added manipulation with 'other' software but the implication is still the same from a customer's point of view and to me that implication is, "Buy Chief, achieve this look for your plans." But can you simply buy Chief and achieve that look? I don't think so and I don't like the marketing technique...

All I did outside of Chief was create a gradient background in a free image editor (Gimp 2.0), which took about 30 seconds from opening the program to exporting the image. Chief includes all the tools necessary to create the same look - you can't expect them to provide all of the content as well.

24 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Also the pale green used for the cool color seems to have a transparency set to very low that I just can’t duplicate even with the eye dropper on a similar color. 

Play with the Shadow Intensity slider.

1 minute ago, rlackore said:

All I did outside of Chief was create a gradient background in a free image editor (Gimp 2.0), which took about 30 seconds from opening the program to exporting the image. Chief includes all the tools necessary to create the same look - you can't expect them to provide all of the content as well.

Yup, many people are just fine with the marketing...and it assumes that everyone has the skills to create a gradient background in a free image editor, I for one wouldn't have a clue. Again, fine for many people, I'm just not a fan as my world is filled to the brim with stuff that just ain't quite as it seems, for others no big deal, much respect for other points of view....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

rt, and clearly doable with added manipulation with 'other' software but the implication is still the same from a customer's point of view and to me that implication is, "Buy Chief, achieve this look for your pl

eh, I kind’ve agree...but, thats like saying Substance Painter shouldn’t post clips from video games their software helped create...when its now a major construct of the whole process.

Almost like saying buy CA and it will make you a great architect and designer and renderer and we’ll give you a PC and all the tools to go with it.

I dunno, I like seeing someone push the capabilities of the product.

21 minutes ago, scottharris said:

The rendering is technical illustration.  Our marketing group is tracking down the plan and will try and post it (provided we have permission from the designer).  It’s a design from Michael Rust, you can see more on this link.

VERY nice design, VERY nice rendering, but did Chief create the background image? The gray terrain shadows? Happy to be alone in my opinion that Chief should show what Chief can do, not what Chief and 'other' software can do unless stated clearly.

5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

eh, I kind’ve agree...but, thats like saying Substance Painter shouldn’t post clips from video games their software helped create...when its now a major construct of the whole process.

Almost like saying buy CA and it will make you a great architect and designer and renderer and we’ll give you a PC and all the tools to go with it.

I dunno, I like seeing someone push the capabilities of the product.

Have no idea what Substance Painter might be and really nothing like saying CA will make you a great architect and designer, more like saying if Chief is going to post a fabulous render and design there should be no expectation that that render can be accomplished in Chief alone.

Picky? Perhaps, but if I bought Chief thinking I could create that image with Chief I would not be happy. I happen to know Chief's capabilities and know when a render has been altered with other software but it wouldn't surprise me if most people simply expect there to be some kind of over hyped capabilities advertised and not have the product live up to those expectations, but I'm tired of it as I am bombarded with the same thing every day.

Big deal? Nah, just another opinion.

16 minutes ago, DavidJames said:

Closest I could get to it: 

980857459_3dView23.thumb.jpg.40b58c185b293179ccaab1589bdabc52.jpg

To compare look at the different shadows here...

5F2F8A09-74C1-429B-8095-4911D10B7005.thumb.jpeg.d89ca7bfa4a5d0d12fbd2836db71586e.jpeg

Also I think Chief needs to ask for a typo correction on designer’s website unless Chief Architect opened up a new restaurant?...

261E1699-3592-4ADD-8EFC-EE2384B7A843.thumb.jpeg.e6c3186203f5e921f2ad326e8c69633d.jpeg

Chef?

Just now, Michael_Gia said:

To compare look at the different shadows here...

5F2F8A09-74C1-429B-8095-4911D10B7005.thumb.jpeg.d89ca7bfa4a5d0d12fbd2836db71586e.jpeg

Also I think Chief needs to ask for a typo correction on designer’s website unless Chief Architect opened up a new restaurant?...

261E1699-3592-4ADD-8EFC-EE2384B7A843.thumb.jpeg.e6c3186203f5e921f2ad326e8c69633d.jpeg

Chef?

:lol: @ Chef... 

The shadows is definitely what gives it away that there's some post-processing happening here. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DavidJames said:

The shadows is definitely what gives it away that there's some post-processing happening here. 

Anyone have any ideas how it might be accomplished in Chief that the terrain and windows all have gray shadows and the rest is green ?   I mean I suppose you could do some very tedious and precise layout box cropping and with two separate Technical Illustration views sent to layout but I would think that would take hours and hours to do in chief.

I think I would agree with Larry in that if post processing was used it should be noted.