Changing deck railing thickness pushes railing off the edge

DeckQuestions

My deck railings float off the edge of the deck if I change the thickness to 2 1/2" or lower. I need a 1 1/2" thick railing that stays on the deck. 

I opened an older project, and there the rails could go down to 2 1/2" before they started floating. Maybe a setting needs to be changed, or maybe that's just how the program works? Let me know.

The pictures attached are of my black main deck at 1 1/2" rail thickness and my test deck at 3" and 2 1/2" rail thickness.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.21.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.22.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.23.29 AM.png

Salim.plan

The plan you posted does not have a deck so here is some more general information that may help you. 

Deck railings are always centered in the deck wall.  Making the deck wall thicker or thinner will allow you to offset the deck railing further in or out but only up to a point.  You can't move the deck railing past the outside of the deck perimeter once the wall thickness is as small as it can go.  You may also have to specify a different wall type for your deck railing if you need to make a thinner deck wall.

The width of your rails can be set to be independent of your wall thickness.  You need to first uncheck the Full Wall Width option on the Rails panel to do this.

You can also offset the newel posts separately from the railing.  This can be useful in certain other situations but I doubt this is what you want to do in your case.

From the pictures you posted, I am guessing that you want to make the deck wall thicker, not thinner, to get the posts placed where you want them and then turn off the Full Wall Width option so you can set the rail thickness to what you want.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, DeckQuestions said:

Wrong file, sorry about that. Here's the right one.

Salim.plan

Thanks for your help, that sounds like it'll fix my issues. 

The Issue Connor, is the weird Wall-type you have as your default Railing Wall ( siding 1) , make a copy of the Standard Deck Railing and change the Wall width to 1.5 inches , then make sure to also change the Newels (posts) to 1.5 Inches if that is the Spec for the Railing too.

image.thumb.png.c9922714dcd56d04a700d50ed8e68869.pngimage.thumb.png.9f31e46cfdeb7e6e7993c4ca54b1f20a.png