Truss bottom chord as ceiling frame - how to

Michael_Gia

Bonus tip:

to find the pitch ratio in degrees use the atan function example atan(6/12) = 26.56°

If you have an iPhone turn it sideways and use the trig calculator, I’m sure there’s something similar on Android. 

Using google on the computer always messes me up as it did here to a couple of guys. 

8 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Bonus tip:

to find the pitch ratio in degrees use the atan function example atan(6/12) = 26.56°

If you have an iPhone turn it sideways and use the trig calculator, I’m sure there’s something similar on Android. 

Using google on the computer always messes me up as it did here to a couple of guys. 

Or use Show Pitch in degrees

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting a bit of an old topic, but I am struggling with getting the ceiling planes and trusses to build correctly for this type of truss.  The red marks show where the truss sit on the external walls.  BTW, I can do this in X15, but my X15 subscription is up 16 Jan 2024 and I do not plan to renew.  Currently trying to re-build this in X14 so I can save and continue small edits in my Home Designer 2023 software.  My other option is to rent HDP 2024 for the few months I need to tweak the plan, so I can just use the X15 file.  Thanks.

Great Room Truss.png

Hi there, might be best to start a new thread question. Ceiling planes work in X14 and way back. Tray ceilings will also work in X14. Try a nested tray ceiling for the flat outer edge and maybe raked ceiling planes for the inner part. Search for videos on CA nested tray ceilings.

15 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Try a nested tray ceiling for the flat outer edge and maybe raked ceiling planes for the inner part. Search for videos on CA nested tray ceilings.

Pretty sure those flat areas are for the overhanging soffit area so regular sloped ceiling planes should be all that is required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Pretty sure those flat areas are for the overhanging soffit area so regular sloped ceiling planes should be all that is required.

You would certainly think so ? Will Chief X15 build a truss like that above automatically or would it need to be manually created first ?

14 hours ago, mthd97 said:

You would certainly think so ? Will Chief X15 build a truss like that above automatically or would it need to be manually created first ?

I did not try but you certainly have a point there.  I suspect the soffit supports would not build automatically and would need to be added in the truss detail or by modification of the truss envelope.