PDF creating issues when printing from layout page.

JECORMIER

Hello Everyone-

So for a while now I've been experiencing this issue where my program freezes when I go to print a page from my layout that has a pdf that has been sent from either my plan file or that I have imported directly from my desktop to the layout file itself. Seems to be that the files are just too big or something and it just chokes. I've been tracing the darn things in my plan file, deleting the PDF and sending the cad drawing to layout and it all works well there.....But, I've got a multi-page pdf that I'd like to add that has a ton of drawing (if I were to trace over them like I have been) and I cannot justify the time to do so.

A few questions..

Is there a setting that I don't know about in the Chief program that helps with this situation?

Does anyone else send pdf's to the layout with any problems like this and if so what do they do to make it work for them?

Do I need to convert the file? If so, I don't mind purchasing a software converter (I've read some other posts for recommendations.)

Thanks for your help.

Justin

Chief does seem to still have issues with PDF's.  Not sure where your PDF files are stored but that may be an issue.  Try using the " Save in Plan" option and see if that makes it better or worse.  Also you could try converting to .png and see if that resolves the problem as chief seems to handle them much more smoothly.   I convert with Gimp but there are other methods that work I am sure.

Some pdfs are better than others. Convert to png as Chop suggests. Download a trial of Bluebeam PDF revu and try "reduce file size". Often that helps. It will also convert all pages to png with one click while you're at it. (last I knew it didn't watermark) 

Sometimes I insert the PDF in BB instead, either printing dummy blank pages from Chief (easiest) or having a page template in BB (fast but requires set up). 

There are pdf to dwg converters but that also depends on -the PDF, needs, how much text. The one I use (Print2CAD) does OCR but that can get tedious to configure and get right. 

Justin, I've also had some luck by printing a complete PDF file from Chief, then printing that PDF to your printer, and reducing the resolution in Chief's print to PDF dbx. As a matter of fact I ALWAYS print to PDF first, then to the print house or to my local printer.