Topography Control Problems

jjifmeyer

I have the hardest time trying to figure out topography and understand how to control IT PROPERLY. I have watched all videos and been at it for hours. 
HELP…! Trying to control the height levels of certain topography aspects. An help would be appreciated.

I have watched videos but it is just not clicking.

Attached is my plan with a Screen Shot of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I am new to CA so a thorough explanation is appreciated.

Dave_Becky.plan

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 9.32.12 AM.png

• Use an elevation region big enough to include the road and sidewalk and snap it to the back of the Sidewalk ( house side) instead of the Elevation line.
  • You then need  a Terrain Retaining Wall coming out from either side of the garage door to the sidewalk , both these you need to edit in elevation ( section camera) to slope just above the terrain.
  • Then add a very narrow (6-12")  Terrain Region the width of the Driveway, outside the garage door, set 1.5" lower than the garage slab. ( this allow for 1" thick driveway next ,it sits on the terrain in Chief)
  • then add the Driveway from Garage Door to Curb.

M.

image.thumb.png.d2433e036c1f46b0e38b3edec9a30466.png

6 hours ago, jjifmeyer said:

Thank you so much for your help.

Where I was going wrong is I thought the Terrain Wall auto cut the terrain.

Now it all makes sense

Thanks Again

Hi Jim , just to Clarify a Terrain Wall and a Terrain Retaining Wall act different..... so hopefully you noticed David used a Terrain Retaining Wall  ( as I did above) not a Terrain wall.

This video shows some of the basics and is worth watching all the way through , but the wall differences are shown at 13:44 though.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/75/terrain-site-plan-basics.html?playlist=101

My retaining walls never work like this. The effect the terrain in weird ways but they never create a held back land area with fill in behind. There has to be more to the retaining wall thing than this. I have been spending hours on this and can not figure out how to simply draw a retained area with a stone wall.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, MN_JohnH said:

My retaining walls never work like this. The effect the terrain in weird ways but they never create a held back land area with fill in behind. There has to be more to the retaining wall thing than this. I have been spending hours on this and can not figure out how to simply draw a retained area with a stone wall.

Are you drawing an Elevation Line behind the retaining wall with the appropriate height?

I never use a Terrain Retaining Wall, I use a Terrain Break and then draw my wall manually (it doesn't have to be a retaining wall).

I always draw an Elevation Line just behind the Terrain Break at the appropriate height and one in front of the Terrain Break at the lower height.

A Terrain Retaining Wall is a normal wall with a Terrain Break incorporated.

More often than not, when using a retaining wall, the tops and bottoms will be broken into too many segments which then makes it hard to edit the wall top and bottom shapes.

Post a plan for better help.