Best method to show furniture etc on floor below?

Michael_Gia

When in plan view, how do you all show the contents of a room below from the floor above?

Such as in a two story great room ceiling.  

The way I've always done it was to put the furniture of the room below on a separate layer and then create a reference layer with light grey dotted lines. 

Like this...

34196813_Screenshot2019-05-0423_23_25.thumb.png.7742fe211faed58e5d40313aa0f7b0c6.png

What other ways are there to accomplish this?

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

What other ways are there to accomplish this?

You could use the associated cad block for the symbol if you don't want to get a reference layer involved.

7 hours ago, glennw said:

Why do you need another way?

Sorry, I didn’t phrase the question right. 

My problem is that I still get people not understanding that there isn’t a room on the second floor or that there is suddenly a floating sofa on the second floor. Either people don’t understand plans or my method isn’t clear. Is there some accepted drafting etiquette on how you’re supposed to show stuff on the floor below? 

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

Really? I guess I was overdoing things. 

You could try to copy and paste into the Open Below Room, and in the object DBX change the "Absolute" elevation to 0. The object should remain visible in plan, but not in elevation. You will, however, now have two couches in the same place on floor 1. 

8 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Is there some accepted drafting etiquette on how you’re supposed to show stuff on the floor below? 

I think Glenn's approach is the way to eliminate confusion. Showing things on the 2nd floor that aren't there only leads to confusion in plan views. 3D overviews are great for showing both floors as Perry suggests.

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I have a layer set that purposefully eliminates all furniture as a couple contractors I work with find it distracting. 

I leave the furniture there mainly for electricians to place plugs for night stands etc. Gives everyone a little bit of orientation. Minimalist furniture though. 

William,

I have the solid transparent fill (about 95% transparency) set in my floor defaults so that whenever I create a closed room, it auto fills with a very light transparent fill.

Looks good and also ensures I have room definitions - no fill means no room definition.

2 hours ago, glennw said:

William,

I have the solid transparent fill (about 95% transparency) set in my floor defaults so that whenever I create a closed room, it auto fills with a very light transparent fill.

Looks good and also ensures I have room definitions - no fill means no room definition.

I use a solid fill so it will hide walls below (I use a ref layer for floor below) yet I can see the walls below that are not under the floor above....