Setting Stem Wall Height in Build Foundation dbx...?

HumbleChief

Can not understand the relationship between what I type in the data fields and what appears in the actual stem wall height. In this plan there's an additional (or lessor) 5 inches and I have no idea how one would know this information. Is it right in front of me? And why can't I simply type in a stem wall height?

Thanks very much and apologies for the frustration.

stem wall plan.plan

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I think you need to use the room DBX (That they redesigned specially for you) :) and set Floor level to -24.25"

Thanks Chop...what about setting in the build foundation dbx? What's with the 5"? Where does that come from and why can't I just simply set the stem wall height in that dbx?

My floor shows the floor at -25 5/8"? Wonder why?

Do you ignore the build foundation dbx and set stuff in the room dbx?

I can get the stem wall to be 18" tall if I add the sill plate (WTF?) to get 19 1/2" and the room dbx shows 18" from the bottom of the joists to a spot that looks like it must be 1 1/2" above the floor? ...as the ceiling height? Where is that spot 1 1/2" above the 'floor of the basement? What does it represent?

stem wall height 2.png

I always figure it out but what's that number in the build foundation dbx set as minimum stem wall height? Why is it there? What does it represent? What is the 'minimum' stem wall height? Why not just simply the stem wall height? Why am I so dense?

Larry,

One question at a time.

As I understand it, and not particularly relating to your particular example.

Regarding the Minimum Stem Wall Height.

Normally Chief will build a foundation room slab (even though you specify no slab or Open Below, there is still a foundation room floor) so that it sits on top of the footing. And when you raise the foundation floor height, the footing raises with the floor.

You can raise the foundation room "floor", but at the Minimum Stem Wall Height setting, the stem wall footing will not raise anymore so that there will be a gap between the foundation room floor and top of footing.

ie, the floor no longer sits on the footing.

The setting is a way to separate the foundation room floor from the footing.

While you are in the Room Specification dbx for the foundation room, have a play with the Relative Ceiling Height setting and check Floor Under This Room and see what happens in the diagram.

In the build foundation dbx, you might be better off leaving the slab thickness at something like 4" so you can see it in the diagram.

You can then control the slab (on/off) by the Floor Under This Room checkbox (or you can also make the room Open Below). 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t open your plan so probably shouldn’t be commenting but whenever I have this kind of situation the culprit is almost always a dumb minimum stemwall height that I had set in the foundation wall default.  Check that first.

Also check your floor structure on the foundation and make sure there aren’t varying floor elevations and/or ceiling elevations.  

Glenn, You are always very helpful and your help is also always very much appreciated but your explanation is just beyond my comprehension and understanding. Maybe I really don't want understand because what you just explains points out, to me, just how overly complex and down right stupid the settings are in that dbx,

How about a f^&king stem wall height setting? Instead of a room that raises when a floor is not present on the ceiling height because the foundation needs a floor that is lower than the footing that is set by the relative ceiling height which no longer sits on footing which in turn is set by the depth of the stem wall height relative to the slab which really isn't there but could be if you want a floor under the footing that is based on the relative height of the stem wall unless you want a floor under your crawl space. Why not just give us a stem wall height and be done with it?

Or let the software engineer's design the GUI which is always a bad idea, but at least they understand it... 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I didn’t open your plan so probably shouldn’t be commenting but whenever I have this kind of situation the culprit is almost always a dumb minimum stemwall height that I had set in the foundation wall default.  Check that first.

Also check your floor structure on the foundation and make sure there aren’t varying floor elevations and/or ceiling elevations.  

Will do...plan is basic box so not much trickery but will check the defaults.

11 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Will do...plan is basic box so not much trickery but will check the defaults.

1) First go into your foundation wall defaults and set the minimum stemwall height to 0. 

2) In the 0 floor level default set your rough ceiling height that you would like. For the stemwall all you have to do is add your rough ceiling height plus your floor thickness to give you the exact stem wall height that you’re looking for. With no space underneath. 

11 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Instead of a room that raises when a floor is not present on the ceiling height because the foundation needs a floor that is lower than the footing that is set by the relative ceiling height which no longer sits on footing which in turn is set by the depth of the stem wall height relative to the slab which really isn't there but could be if you want a floor under the footing that is based on the relative height of the stem wall unless you want a floor under your crawl space.

Larry

You seem to have the concept under control and I can see that you now understand what is happening. :)

Just now, glennw said:

Larry

You seem to have the concept under control and I can see that you now understand what is happening. :)

I've posted before that I never type lol unless I'm actually laughing out loud.... LOL and thanks again for your help!!:P

You we’re violating that dumb “minimum stemwall height” in the foundation wall default.  Not sure why they even have this. Everyone seems to want to enter their stemwall height there and that’s not the place to do it. 

Did i find the fly in the ointment?

7 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

1) First go into your foundation wall defaults and set the minimum foundation wall height to 0. 

2) In the 0 floor level default set your rough ceiling height that you would like. For the stemwall all you have to do is add your roof ceiling height plus your floor thickness to give you the exact stem wall height that you’re looking for. 

Couldn't find number 1) but I think using a default for floor '0' as the stem wall height plus 1 1/2" for the sill plate should at least me a chance to get it right...

3 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Everyone seems to want to enter their stemwall height there and that’s not the place to do it.

Count me as one of the bonehead 'everyones' I THINK I get that now. The best approach being to set the stem wall height in the defaults? I'll play a bit.

6 minutes ago, glennw said:

Larry,

Happy to do an online session if you think it will help

Again your help and generosity does not go unappreciated but I think I've got a little better grip now...

I just opened a new plan and everything seemed to go OK with a min. stem wall height of 19 1/2" for and 18" stem wall. Then I changed the framing for the joists with 'lock floor top' checked and it messed with the stem wall something terrible. With lock floor bottom checked it behaved much better.

Always wondered what that setting for locking floor top/bottom was for but it is quite effective...

In your video where you are in the build foundation dialogue box you need to set the minimum stemwall height to 0. 

The reason why 13” worked for you is because it was less than the (minimum stemwall height plus floor thickness). 

Its not that 13 was a magic number. And to avoid this in the future always set minimum to 0. 

In an existing plan where the foundation is already built go into the “foundation wall” defaults and set minimum stemwall height to 0, or you’re going to have a really bad time. 

Now to set your stemwall height use the room dialogue box and set your (rough ceiling height + floor thickness) to get your stemwall height every time.

Remember stemwall height includes the sill plate thickness. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

In your video where you are in the build foundation dialogue box you need to set the minimum stemwall height to 0. 

The reason why 13” worked for you is because it was less than the (minimum stemwall height plus floor thickness). 

Its not that 13 was a magic number. And to avoid this in the future always set minimum to 0. 

In an existing plan where the foundation is already built go into the “foundation wall” defaults and set minimum stemwall height to 0, or you’re going to have a really bad time. 

Now to set your stemwall height use the room dialogue box and set your (rough ceiling height + floor thickness) to get your stemwall height every time.

Remember stemwall height includes the sill plate thickness. 

That works OK but, of course, turns off auto foundation build. Not the end of the world but will keep in mind for sure.

Thank you for your help Michael!!

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Can not understand the relationship between what I type in the data fields and what appears in the actual stem wall height. In this plan there's an additional (or lessor) 5 inches and I have no idea how one would know this information. Is it right in front of me? And why can't I simply type in a stem wall height?

Thanks very much and apologies for the frustration.

stem wall plan.plan

Larry...

You have the default floor joists set to be 11-7/8" I-Joist.  But...when you framed the building you set the joists to 5-1/2" lumber.  (I don't think the material type has anything to do with this...) 

This seems to be the problem.

Go into your floor defaults and change the default joist to 5-1/2" lumber and rebuild your foundation and you will see everything works.  OR...set you floor DBX joist to use the "default" joist.

• Upvote 1