Disappearing electrical receptacle

EconBlueprints

I have a receptacle that shows up in plan view, but not in wall elevation view.  All the other electrical components show up except this one.  To place it, I copied and pasted it from a receptacle to the side of it.  In face I copied it and pasted it several locations, and they all show up....except for this one.

Plan is attached. I suspect it has something to do with the kitchen cabinets or backsplash but I cannot figure it out.

I marked it in the kitchen plan view .

Thanks,

Lane

DeMuro_Ranch_Plan.plan

It's snapping to your wall surface rather than your backsplash like the others.  WHY its doing that, I'm not sure and don't have time to test, but simply adjust the Distance From Wall or origin offset if you want to fix it for now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

WHY its doing that, I'm not sure and don't have time to test,

It seems to have something to do with the proximity to the end of the partition wall but not really sure why that would be a factor unless you were within 3".  Might be one for tech support unless someone comes up with a brilliant explanation.

I just tried this with a cabinet backsplash, material region & custom backsplash. Receptacle locates properly on the outer surface. One thing though, if you select the receptacle from the tool bars it will automatically position about 12" off of the floor, it may be hidden behind your cabinet. If so just raise it's height off of the floor.

It's snapping to your wall surface rather than your backsplash like the others.  WHY its doing that, I'm not sure and don't have time to test, but simply adjust the Distance From Wall or origin offset if you want to fix it for now. 

The short answer is because the program isn't smart enough to find the backsplash in all possible cases.

In this particular plan, the backsplash is being built by the wall cabinet above the outlet.  There are actually two walls behind the wall cabinet (see picture below).  The center of the wall cabinet determines that it is attached to the wall on the right.  The center of the outlet determines that it is attached to the wall on the left.  Because the outlet and the wall cabinet are not on the same wall, the outlet does not know how to find the backsplash.

To solve the problem I would use Michael's suggestion of specifying the distance from the wall.  You could also use Chopsaw's solution of modifying the symbol data.  I would not recommend making the backsplash thinner because that would still leave a portion of the outlet hidden.

In the future, I would encourage you to report problems like this to our tech support team so that we can make improvements to these problem situations.

backsplash problem.png

Thanks, for the replies, and I will send it to the tech dept.

While I am at it I might as well as them why elevation views show the basement walls at 9'2" on one side of the house and 9'1*1/2" on the other three sides.  Why the story pole dimensions say the basement slab is 2" lower on one side of the house than the other.  I even deleted the basement and rebuilt it, with the same result.  I thought that might be the floor above, but everything holds the same for ceiling heights, floor joists, ceiling joists etc.
Nothing is perfect, and Chief proves that again and again, but all things considered there is always a workaround.  

Lane

2 hours ago, EconBlueprints said:

While I am at it I might as well as them why elevation views show the basement walls at 9'2" on one side of the house and 9'1*1/2" on the other three sides.

I didn't see the exact numbers you're referring to, but those walls have been manipulated in 3D...some along the top, some along the bottom, and some along both.  That basically throws all bets right out the window.  The fireplace room definition also doesn't match the others which could be affecting some things like this...

2 hours ago, EconBlueprints said:

Why the story pole dimensions say the basement slab is 2" lower on one side of the house than the other.  I even deleted the basement and rebuilt it, with the same result.

One side is measuring the basement slab and the other side is measuring the fireplace foundation room slab.

Alaskan_Son,
Yes, I tried to "fix" the walls in 3d so to make wall heights the same.  The issue was the initial setting for the basement was 9'-1 1/2" (9' wall, 1-1/2" sill plate).  In elevation views, the exterior walls showed up as 9'2" and 9'-1 1/2.  I checked to see where I went wrong, could not find anything, deleted the basement, re-generated the basemement and the same issues.  I did not try manually drawing the basement walls.  I am going to make a complete backup, then delete the foundation on the back up and re-build it manually instead of deriving it from the floor above.  Maybe its something in default walls, platforms or the like.

Lane