alternating post to beam post to rail railing

DianeP

Does anyone have an alternating post to beam-post to rail railing wall with beam all the way across?   Or do I have to make multiple brakes changing back and forth to post to beam and post to rail.....PAIN!!!!   Looking for something like this:    

image.png

1 minute ago, tommy1 said:

I know a lot of people wouldn't do it the way I do but I would place the tall posts manually.

Funny I was just thinking that it would be easiest to place the short ones manually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Dianne, I know a lot of people wouldn't do it the way I do but I would place the tall posts manually.

That's a better idea than I had.  Thanks..  Still would like a wall that did this automatically so I could cut out some steps because I would have to add the columns and the beams.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Funny I was just thinking that it would be easiest to place the short ones manually.

Yes this would keep me from having to add the beams at least.  But I would have to still spend time centering them between the columns.

1 minute ago, DianeP said:

Yes this would keep me from having to add the beams at least. 

Just as long as it works out with the auto spindles, but at least you have a few options.

If you do that style a lot maybe a custom panel would be a possibility as well.

Ok this is what I did in case I come back here looking for solutions:

set rail at post to beam with newels 72" apart.  Went and put in 36" tall posts on every other post  from the deck corners, using the post to beam as my guide.  Then went back and changed the spacing to 144" apart.  Thanks all for your suggestions that got me going!!!!!

image.thumb.png.3e549269ed6264569b0025c2a8ec96a6.png

19 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Couldn’t you just make one complete section, post-rail-Column, save as symbol?

That works OK until there are changes; then you have to do it again. But, that's req'd with other methods also, right? Pick your poison I guess.

Super commonly I just do this kind of stuff using manually placed components, multiple copy, and then one of the Align/Distribute tools.  There are a lot of productivity tools in Chief that make very quick work of manually modeling a lot of scenarios rather than having to force an automated tool to do what you want.  The automated tools are great and can make quicker work of making changes, but they also only get you so far, sometimes take longer to coerce, and often only end up with an end result that's kinda right.  I just prefer to skip the guesswork and experimenting a lot of the time, just do what I KNOW will work, and end up with an end result that IS right.