Modifying DWG file someone else created

FireflyDesigns

I have Premier x11 software.

I have a client that is wanting modifications done to a plan purchased elsewhere created on unknown software. He has the DWG file and when I import I get the entire plan on one level (picture below). Is there a way to work with this or should I have them reach out to someone else. They do not want me to redraw the plans, which would be my solution.

Screenshot 2019-04-30 10.15.02.png

IMO Chief is ill-suited to straight-up 2D condocs using nothing but CAD tools. If you plan on only modifying the 2D, then I'd use AutoCAD or another robust 2D CAD platform with which you're proficient - unless the revisions are very minor. Otherwise, model the project in Chief to leverage its abilities to quickly develop elevations, sections, etc.

2 minutes ago, rlackore said:

IMO Chief is ill-suited to straight-up 2D condocs using nothing but CAD tools. If you plan on only modifying the 2D, then I'd use AutoCAD or another robust 2D CAD platform with which you're proficient - unless the revisions are very minor. Otherwise, model the project in Chief to leverage its abilities to quickly develop elevations, sections, etc.

That's how I'm feeling as well. Thanks for your input. 

3 hours ago, FireflyDesigns said:

I'm not needing to do 3D work with this, just modify the 2D.

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try, ....you should be able to zoom in on the 2D elevations above and then use the

CAD Detail From View Tool

*** might need to rescale the CAD Work.....double check a known measurement....

*** Or download DraftSight  it is Free still  ( not after Dec 2019) and do it there.

With all due respect to Mick and the others that are tossing out ideas, simply turn this job down unless you own a copy of AutoCAD that you can do this in. 

The file that you have there is "Paper Space" it looks like, not the plan file. There are a couple different ways you can manipulate that file, none are quick, and none are easy. 

If you take this job you will end up paying the client.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, joey_martin said:

With all due respect to Mick and the others that are tossing out ideas, simply turn this job down unless you own a copy of AutoCAD that you can do this in. 

The file that you have there is "Paper Space" it looks like, not the plan file. There are a couple different ways you can manipulate that file, none are quick, and none are easy. 

If you take this job you will end up paying the client.

Agreed. I've turned it down.

I use AutoCAD quite a bit side-by-side with chief. It looks like he has drawn all of his project layout pages in model space.

If an AutoCAD drawing is just the structure/building in model space and then paper space is used to manage how the pages will appear, then the DWG file will only have the model space information when imported to chief. 

If I was given that plan, I would attempt to copy the relevant parts to a new blank chief plan so that I could reference the information that I needed. Since I have never run into that particular condition I don’t know if my advice will help you.

• Like 1

A couple points for this for future searches.  I don't think it looks like a PS model especially with them having purchased the CAD file.  I work with two designers that set up their plans in that same method in MS.  Title block and everything nothing in PS.  I'm actually a fan of that method for structural analysis.  That said, there are some cheaper options than AutoCAD for modification of DWG files, DesignCad (by TurboCad) is one.  I think their full program is only $100 or so.  One of the designers mentioned above uses this program.  It is not for longtime AutoCad users, it is counter-intuitive to everything I've learned for the past 20 years.  But for a new user or someone making a few minor changes is does import, modify, and output .dwg files for far less than the AutoDesk yearly subscription.

• Like 1