Can you delete older versions once you upgrade

PinnacleChief

Good Morning!  I am upgrading to x11 this week and wanted to know what to do with x10 and x9 on my desktop.  Can I move these over to a zip drive and retrieve them later if I need to view an old plan that I made?  I'm trying to free up some space on my computer.  I haven't used x9 since I upgraded to x10, so I'm assuming that once I upgrade to x11, I won't be using x10 either.  What do you guys do?

Thanks,

Jim

moving X9 and X10 to a zip drive won't work

Chief has to be installed on a PC to work

you can move the libraries and your plan files etc 

but the software install has to remain on the PC

older plans can always be opened and edited by a newer version (some caveats to this for really old versions)

so if you don't work with clients that have older versions of Chief 

then you don't need to keep X9 or X10 installed at all

We worked with clients who had Chief so we kept our older versions installed

David Potter has every version ever made installed - we kept the two prior versions plus the current

your choice 

Lew

Here is a note to myself:

Older Chief Architect Versions:  X9 does not support reading in plans with the .pl# or .la# extension (files from any versions older then Version 10 (2005). CA 10 (2005) creates *.plan files.).  To open these older plans in X9, first open these files in X8 (or use the free client viewer for Chief X8) and save them which will be in the newer format as a .plan or .layout file. X8 will open plans back to Chief Architect 97 (released August 1997). Version 9 is required to open pre-August 1997 .pln files. Keep X8 until all old plans are updated. 

Home Designer Pro Versions: To make work in Chief Architect Premier readable in Home Designer Pro, check “Default Settings/Plan/General Plan Defaults/Allow Editing in Select Home Designer Products” to allow limited editing of the current file in compatible Home Designer programs. See "Compatibility with Previous Versions" referenced above and “Sharing a Plan File With a Home Designer User“. Home Designer 2020 titles are capable of being shared* back and forth with Chief Architect X11, HD 2019 with X10, HD 2018 tiles with X9, HD 2017 titles with X8, etc. (*Have to check Default Settings/Plan/Allow Editing in Select Home Designer Products.)