CA Stress Testing Results

TheKitchenAbode

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

1.) Open Standard Camera View = 13 seconds.

2.) Drag Wall Surface up = 18 seconds.

3.) Undo Drag Wall Surface up = 15 seconds.

4.) Build Roof Planes = 28 seconds.

These result appear to be right in line with your processors ranking which on average is about 35% faster than my 6700K.

34 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Interesting that most every test points to CPU power and not so much GPU power, that's some very valuable information.

Also wanted to compliment you Graham on the parade of homes design, that's some real inside the box thinking...:blink:

Thanks Larry, that's certainly what I have been stressing, the heavy lifting when as it concerns CA revolves around the CPU, that's by far the most impactful component.

11 sec to open the BBQ camera. All cores maxed at 100% at 4.3 MHz turbo. Strange thing - I had a difficult time selecting the camera in plan view. Took several mouse clicks before it would highlight. Haven't ran the other tests yet. Maybe tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

11 sec to open the BBQ camera. All cores maxed at 100% at 4.3 MHz turbo. Strange thing - I had a difficult time selecting the camera in plan view. Took several mouse clicks before it would highlight. Haven't ran the other tests yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Mike, seems to be right according to your CPU's specs. Yes those cameras can be a bit tricky to select, often need to zoom in, they appear large because I increased the label size but I think the click zone is still based on it's normal size.

23 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's a different stress test model. This one allows you to explore more typical CA functions related to walls, roofs, windows and doors. It should not bog down anyone's system but will run slower so you can see what's going on. Suggest having Task Manger open on the process tab so you can see what component does what at what time. At the bottom of task manger there is a digital clock so you can time your operations.

1.) Open Plan.

2.) Open Task Manger, Select Process Tab, Select Options "Always on Top".

2.) Open Standard Camera View, Record Time to Open.

3.) Zoom in on one of the Houses. Should be no problem.

4.) Click on a Wall Surface and Drag up Top Edge up. Record Time to Complete Task.

5.) Hit Undo, Record time to complete task.

6.) Zoom out to see all houses.

7.) Select Build, Roof, Build Roof, Roof, Build Roof Planes, Record Time to Complete Task.

What to watch for.

1.) The "3D Rebuild" pop up.

2.) In Task Manager Observe the activity levels of the CPU, GPU and Disk Drive, When They are Active and When are Not During the Processing.

3.) Depending on What you do Notice That the full 3D Rebuild only Occurs for Certain Changes.

My Results (Alien X51 R3)

1.) Open Standard Camera View = 18 seconds.

2.) Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.

3.) Undo Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.

4.) Build Roof Planes = 35 seconds.

Parade of Homes 400.plan

1.) = 18 sec

2.) = 21 sec

3.) = 19 sec

4.) = 34 sec

18 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here is another stress test model. This one looks at the effect of very high surface counts. The model contains 5,000 BBQ symbols for a total surface count of just under 19 million. The test here is a simple one.

1.) Open Plan.

2.) Open Camera View, Record Time to Display.

The results may surprise you.

This one should be of greatest interest to those with high core count processors as the processing here is fully threaded.

My 4 core/8 thread 6700K displays in 34 seconds.

The rule in respect to core/thread performance is in general, to reduce the time by half you need double the cores. Theoretically to drop my 38 seconds to 19 seconds will require 16 cores that can run at my 4.1 Ghz rate. To get this down to 8 seconds would require 32 cores, 4 seconds 64 cores, 2 seconds 128 cores and to 1 second 256 cores.

BBQ Parade.plan

16 seconds to open plan camera.

16 seconds to open new Full perspective overview camera.

1 minute ago, parkwest said:

16 seconds to open Full perspective overview camera.

That's more like it, those cores are doing what they do best.

Just wonder about your first results, based on your CPU specs they should have been at least 30% lower than mine. Wondering if for some reason your CPU is not turbo boosting up to around 5 GHz. Did you have Task Manger open to see what CPU speed it is reporting during the camera opening?

1 minute ago, parkwest said:

Yes, I had the task manager open but on my second monitor so I couldn't keep track of everything going on.  I was using a stopwatch on my iPad to record the times...

If possible just run it again, no need to time it, just watch task manager to see how fast your CPU is running. It should be up close to 5 or even a smidge over say 5.2.

2 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Redid test:

13 sec

16 sec

14 sec

28 sec

That's more like it, maybe for some reason on the first test you were not getting the full turbo. That's one of the most significant advantages of the I9 9900K, it's currently the leader of the pack on it's ability to hit 5 GHz.

16 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If possible just run it again, no need to time it, just watch task manager to see how fast your CPU is running. It should be up close to 5 or even a smidge over say 5.2.

CPU was 4.68 GHz

Just now, parkwest said:

CPU was 4.68 GHz

That's up there. was it holding steady or bouncing up and down. If the power plans and overclocking is set correctly the CPU should just run at it's higher speed all the time, especially for this test as the duration is not long enough to cause thermal throttling.

5 minutes ago, parkwest said:

It ran steady at 4.68 while opening the camera view then it dropped down to just over 1 ghz while idling.

That indicates that your CPU's speed is being auto adjusted according to demand. Might wish to make sure your power plan is set the Maximum and if your system has an overclocking program that things are set correctly. On my Alienware when I turn on overclocking (just their standard option) my CPU runs at 4 Ghz all the time no matter the % utilization. You gain a bit of performance as there is no time lost due which can happen if the CPU ramps up.

• Upvote 1

Great, we have a Ryzen 7 -3.7-4.3 GHz   (Ridge Runner) and a 9900k 3.6-5 GHz (parkwest) both with 2080 Ti to compare. Different RAM and possibly SSDs but that shouldn't matter with the tests so far.  Leaves me wondering what AMDs 3000 series will do when it comes.

21 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Great, we have a Ryzen 7 -3.7-4.3 GHz   (Ridge Runner) and a 9900k 3.6-5 GHz (parkwest) both with 2080 Ti to compare. Different RAM and possibly SSDs but that shouldn't matter with the tests so far.  Leaves me wondering what AMDs 3000 series will do when it comes.

Yes, the results ridgerunner is achieving with that Ryzen 7 are very good. 11 sec for the BBQ is by far the fastest reported to date. Also when I look a the other results he reports they seem to be more consistent, less variance from one operation to the other. Could also be an indicator of a well balanced system.

21 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Mike - Would it be possible to run this one again. I'm having difficulty reconciling this result with the results of others. Once the plan has loaded do nothing but open the camera and time it or alternatively select the Full Perspective Overview camera from the top tool bar and time it. The reason being is that if any camera has been opened prior to timing then the render time will be faster than a first instance as CA does not have to do a full 3D model rebuild on a second instance. Your posted result of 11 seconds would be more in-line with what I would expect on a second instance.

Xeons parade of homes

1.) Open Standard Camera View = 18 seconds.       21 sec. 

2.) Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.      29 sec.

3.) Undo Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.        28 sec

4.) Build Roof Planes = 35 seconds.  58 sec..

On 5/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, HumbleChief said:

No, my computer hangs for as little as 8 and as much as 17 seconds on a simple zoom via mouse wheel. 13 seconds to simply select the slab. 14 seconds to move an edge. I would say unusable with my system. ...and 12 seconds to simply close the file...That thing is evil and I've deleted it off my system just in case it will wake me in the middle of the night....

Thank you Graham for starting this thread! It will finally put a sequence of importance in hardware upgrades.

I just tested this and am amazed at the slowness I am experiencing from such a simple plan. Im getting times like you Larry

following :)

On 5/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's a different stress test model. This one allows you to explore more typical CA functions related to walls, roofs, windows and doors. It should not bog down anyone's system but will run slower so you can see what's going on. Suggest having Task Manger open on the process tab so you can see what component does what at what time. At the bottom of task manger there is a digital clock so you can time your operations.

1.) Open Plan.

2.) Open Task Manger, Select Process Tab, Select Options "Always on Top".

2.) Open Standard Camera View, Record Time to Open.

3.) Zoom in on one of the Houses. Should be no problem.

4.) Click on a Wall Surface and Drag up Top Edge up. Record Time to Complete Task.

5.) Hit Undo, Record time to complete task.

6.) Zoom out to see all houses.

7.) Select Build, Roof, Build Roof, Roof, Build Roof Planes, Record Time to Complete Task.

What to watch for.

1.) The "3D Rebuild" pop up.

2.) In Task Manager Observe the activity levels of the CPU, GPU and Disk Drive, When They are Active and When are Not During the Processing.

3.) Depending on What you do Notice That the full 3D Rebuild only Occurs for Certain Changes.

My Results (Alien X51 R3)

1.) Open Standard Camera View = 18 seconds.

2.) Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.

3.) Undo Drag Wall Surface up = 22 seconds.

4.) Build Roof Planes = 35 seconds.

Parade of Homes 400.plan

1. 35sec.

2. 36sec

3.37sec.

4. 1:00 min.

my computer spec is old, but over clocked to boost to 4ghz. I was seeing 3.98ghz gpu rate.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here is another stress test model. This one looks at the effect of very high surface counts. The model contains 5,000 BBQ symbols for a total surface count of just under 19 million. The test here is a simple one.

1.) Open Plan.

2.) Open Camera View, Record Time to Display.

The results may surprise you.

This one should be of greatest interest to those with high core count processors as the processing here is fully threaded.

My 4 core/8 thread 6700K displays in 34 seconds.

The rule in respect to core/thread performance is in general, to reduce the time by half you need double the cores. Theoretically to drop my 38 seconds to 19 seconds will require 16 cores that can run at my 4.1 Ghz rate. To get this down to 8 seconds would require 32 cores, 4 seconds 64 cores, 2 seconds 128 cores and to 1 second 256 cores.

BBQ Parade.plan

1:57 min WOW

100% CPU

Edited by MPDesign
added cpu info