Stem Wall Changes

DMK-in-KY

Why does the Stem Wall wall height change when I change the ceiling height?

Perhaps more importantly - how can I stop this from happening?

Before change

image.thumb.png.7a8471785709d8ad9ee122dad1f56ad5.png

Would like to increase the Ceiling height to 96 5/8 inch - this happens :

image.thumb.png.896e03c2f023003da9a595862f7d496a.png

Stem wall changes from 104 7/8 inches to 116 3/8"

Any attempt to adjust this only changed other heights

any suggestions?

No- I'm puzzled!

Tried to make a simple plan - could not replicate the issue.

Went back to my plan I'm working on - Figured if I deleted everything (all Furniture etc.), it might be small enough to be 'simple'

Used the 'Delete Objects' off of the Edit from the main menu- deleted every thing except the Cabinets

Can't replicate the issue.

Kind of good news / bad news. Good news is I found a work around.  Bad news is I have no idea why it happened,

Kept a back up (obviously) - so now I'll apply my adjustments - then copy/paste every thing back

Thanks for you help. (I guess)

1 minute ago, DMK-in-KY said:

No- I'm puzzled!

Tried to make a simple plan - could not replicate the issue.

Went back to my plan I'm working on - Figured if I deleted everything (all Furniture etc) it might be small enough to be 'simple'

Used the 'Delete Objects' off of the Edit  from the main menu- deleted every thing except the Cabnets

Can't replicate the issue.

Kind of good news bad news. Good news is I found a work around.  Bad news is I have no idea why it happened,

Kept a back up (obviously) - so now I'll apply my adjustments - then copy/past every thing back

Thanks for you help. (I guess)

I'm a very long time Chief user and have seen much more bizarre behavior than that. Someone will understand the behavior, I, after about 20 years of Chief, simply never will. Sometimes the solution is as you've experienced, just keep thrashing until it comes around but that dialog box has kicked my a$$ for many, many years...

Glad you got it figured out..

These issues are almost always because you have varying ceiling heights lurking somewhere. A closet, hallway, or some weird forgotten inadvertently created room from stray invisible walls. 

First go through and check your floor and ceiling height defaults. 

Check your foundation and minimum stemwall height default. 

Use the Match Properties tool to ensure uniform ceiling heights everywhere.

Of course you are allowed to have varying heights in a plan, but if you do, you need to match those rooms areas above and below with invisible walls so they can be adjusted independently from the rest of the rooms on a given floor, otherwise you will get the kind of results you got here.