New material from polyline?

pgjacob

Hi All

I am wondering if you can create a new material from polylines.  I have made many new materials from images.  But in this instance I would like to make a series of metal circles to use to "paint" a hemi-sphere.  I could find an image to use to do this, but I want the circles to actually have real holes so light can shine through them.  I have attached an example of this for a light.  I am able to create a series of holes using a circle and the 3D molding polyline, multiple copy them and add to the library, but material is not an option.  This may not be possible...

thanks

melissa

image.thumb.png.2c665934f11e80eaee84e46738aa107e.png

19 hours ago, pgjacob said:

Hi All

I am wondering if you can create a new material from polylines.  I have made many new materials from images.  But in this instance I would like to make a series of metal circles to use to "paint" a hemi-sphere.  I could find an image to use to do this, but I want the circles to actually have real holes so light can shine through them.  I have attached an example of this for a light.  I am able to create a series of holes using a circle and the 3D molding polyline, multiple copy them and add to the library, but material is not an option.  This may not be possible...

thanks

melissa

image.thumb.png.2c665934f11e80eaee84e46738aa107e.png

Not sure I understand this request, you cannot make a 2d image from a 3d shape that would be of any reasonable use.

I would suggest you grab a texture that is a .png file-because it can convey clipping areas(see-through/transparent)- 

the circles themselves would be the only 2d content within the image file, the background would be removed(no white)

A chain-link fence type material may suffice, try a google image search with the parameter "filetype:png" at the end of your search terms