Backup Programs

srjbb97

27 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

Not 100% sure where you are headed but I use Carbonite and on the rare instance that I have needed to recover files it has worked well.

Same here. Have had it for years, used it twice to recover corrupted plans. MORE than paid for itself with those 2 plan files...

I use DropBox too but don't consider it a 'BackUp' program. Carbonite, as a back up program, has saved my bacon those 2 times and the shear relief from not having to recreate a set of plans is awesome. Can't imagine being without a back up of some kind...

There is a feature in DropBox that allows it to function close to a back up program and that's their 'Version History' feature. I over wrote a file the other day and went to that Version History and was able to retrieve it - nice.

Would it save a corrupted Chief file? Dunno, don't want to find out.

30 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

that's their 'Version History' feature

Is that in all version of DBox Larry or just the paid versions ?  , I no longer trust Dbox 100% after it "lost" a complete Folder, luckily I had a system wide Macrium Image Backup and was able to recover it .

I currently use Syncback Free to do daily/hourly backups of different Folders eg Chief's Data folder, to an extra HDD as well as the Macrium Images every day or so.

I use a software program called "Handy Back Up" to back up my plans on a daily basis, I also use One Drive and Carbonite as a redundant backup service. I have One Drive with my Office Suite but it does not reliably back up daily like Carbonite, that is why I also use Handy Back Up in concert with One Drive. I like One Drive for also for sharing large files with clients.

DJP

50 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Is that in all version of DBox Larry or just the paid versions ? 

Dunno. Was surprised to see it but would not trust it as true backup software, but rather as a first resort. The feature is not that obvious and hidden in a 'more' type drop down menu.

I did find plan file that are a month old in this version history so not sure what algorithm it uses to create those versions but could be a decent start when a file gets lost/corrupted...

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/version-history-overview

File version history

The amount of time Dropbox stores previous versions of your files depends on the plan you have:

• Basic (free): 30 days
  • Plus: 30 days
  • Professional: 120 days
  • Business (Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, or Education): 120 days

Thanks Larry , I knew there was some kind of backup for 30 days if you deleted a file by accident but I thought "versioning" was different as there was nothing available last year when I had a mishap of some kind and that Folder disappeared.

Mick.

Didn't know this about DropBox...and of course too late to recover a lost folder, which would drive me crazy, but a nice feature none the less.

https://help.dropbox.com/security/recover-deleted-files-folders

How to recover deleted files in Dropbox

Restoring a deleted file or folder

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files in the left sidebar.
  3. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  4. Locate the deleted file or folder you want to recover, and click on the name.
  5. Click Restore.

You can restore files that you had edit access to. Files that you have view-only access to are visible on the Deleted files page, but you can't restore them.

If you have a Dropbox Basic (free) or Plus account, you can recover any file or folder deleted in the last 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you have 120 days to recover deleted files. 

1 minute ago, Rpadge said:

I also use Dropbox and have no issues with it. Like Joe Carrick mentioned, I am able to access my files from a variety of sources, and they sync up automatically. Works very well for me, 

No doubt DropBox is great for accessing files from a variety of sources but am curious, do you use a dedicated back up program as well as DropBox? Or just DropBox?

I'm not currently using a backup program. I have in the past, but almost all of my projects are one-off type jobs, and I rarely need to access those files once I am complete. I have used various backup solutions in the past, and I recognize that its probably a good idea (cheap to do these days), so I will probably use Carbonite (or something similar). I did have a house fire a couple of years ago (lightning strike), and thanks to Dropbox, I was up and running in no time at all.

Dropbox also has a plug-in that automatically puts all my photos from my phone into a folder in DB, thats a really handy feature as well.

I have not only my Project Files on Dropbox but also my Chief Data File.

That means my Archives and Automatic Backups are also on Dropbox.  

Since Dropbox stores the files on the local computer and the cloud as well as syncing all of my other computers it works IMO better than any other system I could imagine.

19 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I have not only my Project Files on Dropbox but also my Chief Data File.

That means my Archives and Automatic Backups are also on Dropbox.  

Since Dropbox stores the files on the local computer and the cloud as well as syncing all of my other computers it works IMO better than any other system I could imagine.

Unless you imagine a corrupted Chief file that you simply CANNOT get open, tech support cannot open it, DropBox can't retrieve it, it is simply trashed for whatever reason. Super rare with Chief but then what? Rebuild the file from scratch? Not the worst option, and only costs hours of your valuable time, but a back up program simply restores the file and you're on your way.

I wouldn't suggest someone not use what they are comfortable with but it only takes one corrupted file before the cheap and easy back up options start to look pretty good.

23 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Unless you imagine a corrupted Chief file that you simply CANNOT get open, tech support cannot open it, DropBox can't retrieve it, it is simply trashed for whatever reason.

I wouldn't want to retrieve a corrupted file.  But I would want to retrieve the most recent archived version.

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I wouldn't want to retrieve a corrupted file.  But I would want to retrieve the most recent archived version.

Really Joe? You wouldn't want to retrieve a corrupted file? Sorry if it seemed like I might have suggested such a stupid thing. I'm not suggesting you get a back up program and if you're happy with DropBox alone then so be it. 

Like I said I only needed a backup twice, and I, of course, did not retrieve a corrupted file, and it was good for me, if it's not good for then don't use a backup program..

Only a suggestion for the OP and others who might be contemplating such a strategy.

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Didn't know this about DropBox...and of course too late to recover a lost folder, which would drive me crazy, but a nice feature none the less.

https://help.dropbox.com/security/recover-deleted-files-folders

How to recover deleted files in Dropbox

Restoring a deleted file or folder

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files in the left sidebar.
  3. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  4. Locate the deleted file or folder you want to recover, and click on the name.
  5. Click Restore.

You can restore files that you had edit access to. Files that you have view-only access to are visible on the Deleted files page, but you can't restore them.

If you have a Dropbox Basic (free) or Plus account, you can recover any file or folder deleted in the last 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you have 120 days to recover deleted files. 

Thanks for the extra Info Larry .

Like you I like to have a local Copy of my Files backup up too , and these days 2TB or 4TB or even 8TB external USB drives are not that expensive, I have several and that's what saved me last year....

Mick.

1.  I operate my business files/folders inside Dropbox (integrated folder in Windows explorer and macOS Finder)

2.  On windows I run Acronis to do scheduled system back ups to an external HD

3.  On macOS I use TimeMachine (default) as well as CarbonCopy Cloner.

4.  On both systems I also use Good Sync to create specific folder backups to additional external HDs and a high capacity USB thumb drive.

All these backups can be scheduled so it stays current and provides redundancy.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with. 

-Mike