Living Area Now Showing Level 0

Anna_Gorres

1 hour ago, Anna_Gorres said:

Hello,

My Living Area for the entire floor is not showing for level 0, nor will the Plan Check bring it back. Any ideas? 

Rhode Island_CD Set.zip

I know zilch about the living area....  (can I say it again?  I find it useless to me).....  but for your case,  maybe all of the rooms at the level zero are UNCONDITIONED therefore CA does not figure area?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think Scott may be correct.  I personally reserve Level 0 to the Foundation.  If there's a basement it's on Level 1 - which is not the same as Floor 1 (aka 1st Floor or Main Floor).

Yeah,  but there are plenty of folks who put their walkout basements on level zero,  and I would guess they would want the area.....  I tried turning her rooms into heated spaces and I did not see the LIVING AREA TOTAL......  there must be so mean out there smarter than us who can give us the answer....  I am now curious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anna_Gorres said:

My Living Area

See this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00285/restoring-the-living-area-label.html

Also, what Scott and Joe are saying are correct, though changing a floor area to conditioned on level 0 will still not produce an area label.

For this particular case, instead of adding a new foundation level 0, simply add a macro to report the area of your ground zero...there are many different ways of doing this

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting issue – it should be solved in the attached plan.  Because you used two walls for your exterior furred wall there are several little wall segments (visible & invisible).  Perhaps you could build one wall type for the exterior block and the interior fur to make it easier?   

To ‘fix’ it quickly:

I copied your plan, deleted the basement level, rebuilt it as an empty floor and did a copy/paste hold position from your original plan (with all layers on)

living-space.png

Concrete Furred Stem Wall.calibz

living-space.zip

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think Scott may be correct.  I personally reserve Level 0 to the Foundation.  If there's a basement it's on Level 1 - which is not the same as Floor 1 (aka 1st Floor or Main Floor).

So, Joe: I have a potential client (not made their mind up) but I'm not drawing yet until they decide if  they are going one story w/basement or two-story w/basement.  But either way, when I do start the drawing, I should start the ground level (their 1st floor) on level 2 of the drawing?  Basement would then be level 1, and level 0 is foundation, correct? 

10 hours ago, scottharris said:

Interesting issue – it should be solved in the attached plan.  Because you used two walls for your exterior furred wall there are several little wall segments (visible & invisible).  Perhaps you could build one wall type for the exterior block and the interior fur to make it easier?   

To ‘fix’ it quickly:

I copied your plan, deleted the basement level, rebuilt it as an empty floor and did a copy/paste hold position from your original plan (with all layers on)

living-space.png

living-space.zip

NICE....

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

So, Joe: I have a potential client (not made their mind up) but I'm not drawing yet until they decide if  they are going one story w/basement or two-story w/basement.  But either way, when I do start the drawing, I should start the ground level (their 1st floor) on level 2 of the drawing?  Basement would then be level 1, and level 0 is foundation, correct? 

That's basically the way I do it.  I will normally start with the main floor on level 1 but then add the basement below by "Inserting a Floor Below".

IAE, It allows the foundation to be separate from the Basement Walls.  For me that's a lot easier.  Since I use "Saved Plan Views" I can name the Floor Plans however I want in the Project Browser and just use the %view.name% macro to title them.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:23 PM, scottharris said:

To ‘fix’ it quickly:

living-space.png

living-space.zip

Thank you everyone! While you all had good ideas to verify, looks like this was the trick. I just recently started using furred walls, which is about when I started having this living area problem. I didn't connect the two.

Thank you very much for all of your input and work!

Anna  

On 4/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, HumbleChief said:

NICE....

I spoke too soon, I"m still having issues. 

I deleted my foundation, build new blank foundation plan and copied in place your plan. I now have the LIVING AREA label, but no area total. It must be a weird setting I have in my plans....

Also, I initially had one wall for my foundation furred out walls, but that had issues when in 3D views. 

Anyhow...I'll have to circle back to this later, or try the having the foundation on level 1. 

Thanks,

Anna 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:17 PM, DavidJPotter said:
On 4/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, Renerabbitt said:

See this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00285/restoring-the-living-area-label.html

Also, what Scott and Joe are saying are correct, though changing a floor area to conditioned on level 0 will still not produce an area label.

For this particular case, instead of adding a new foundation level 0, simply add a macro to report the area of your ground zero...there are many different ways of doing this

I finally had time to circle back to this issue. The article that Renerabbit provided had the answer! Thank you! It is as simple as adding a Living Area macro text box. 

Thank you to everyone who took time to help look into this issue for me!

Best,

Anna 

Joe, your plan sounds very interesting.  

Foundation =>  Level 0  =>  Ref Saved Foundation

Basement   =>  Level 1 =>   Ref Saved Basement

First Floor   =>  Level 2 =>   Ref Saved First Floor

Is this it, the named views? 

825794148_SavedView1.thumb.jpg.3326af767dc73fd4997e29f63263fafa.jpg   483572191_SavedView2.thumb.jpg.dad9e698b4e74ac1f3521d752d996e97.jpg