Mulled Window Question

SNestor

I've mulled a casement window above an awning window.  The two windows are stacked directly on one another...the top of the awning is 34" AFF and the bottom of the casement is 34" AFF.  So...why do I get the thin piece of exterior trim generated between the two units?  

Is there a way to get rid of this...or is it just the way Chief works?

2019-04-21_21-19-43.thumb.png.740861602fe8af062afc5ace8cb0485a.png

Here is my sample plan...

Window Mulled Plan.plan

24 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I've mulled a casement window above an awning window.  The two windows are stacked directly on one another...the top of the awning is 34" AFF and the bottom of the casement is 34" AFF.  So...why do I get the thin piece of exterior trim generated between the two units?  

Is there a way to get rid of this...or is it just the way Chief works?

2019-04-21_21-19-43.thumb.png.740861602fe8af062afc5ace8cb0485a.png

Here is my sample plan...

Window Mulled Plan.plan

It only shows that line after you block them

Open the Mulled Unit Specification dbx>Options panel, Mullion Depth> change both Inside and Outside to zero.

Here they are both set to -6".

In the section view, notice the projecting horizontal line between the two windows.

New Image_127.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Open the Mulled Unit Specification dbx>Options panel, Mullion Depth> change both Inside and Outside to zero.

In the section view, notice the projecting horizontal line between the two windows.

New Image_127.jpg

Thank you Glenn!  It's a simple fix...well, if you know what your are doing. :huh:

13 hours ago, glennw said:

New Image_127.jpg

Yes, Thanks Glenn! I tried to figure it out and didn't see problem either.

3 hours ago, rlackore said:

This still doesn't work with an inset frame (for drywall returns, for instance):

mull.thumb.PNG.0a249c31568c41924a53403d9655b74a.PNG

Yes...you are correct. That’s really what I wanted to do...but gave up.  

C’mon Chief...fix stuff like this.  

Okay, it took me a while, but now I understand that the Mullion Depth has to be set to a positive value that equals the distance from the face of the wall finish (interior or exterior) to the face of the window frame (interior or exterior). I think I have this correct. For me, this is completely counter-intuitive.

EDIT: If I set the Mullion Depth to a value greater than what I've described, CA has a Serious Error related to rendering the window preview and I have to Abort.