Exterior Sign on Post

TennVol

Doing some exterior remodel renderings and need to show sign pole out front. Easy enough with polyline solids, but how do I show text or an image on the sign that will display in a 3D perspective view?  I can place text in the 2D elevation view, but it doesn't show up in 3D.  Searched the forum first, but didn't come up with anything.  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

15 hours ago, TennVol said:

Doing some exterior remodel renderings and need to show sign pole out front. Easy enough with polyline solids, but how do I show text or an image on the sign that will display in a 3D perspective view?  I can place text in the 2D elevation view, but it doesn't show up in 3D.  Searched the forum first, but didn't come up with anything.  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Do you have a picture of the sign? If so do what Eric suggests above. If not, find something close, and repeat...If you need actual 3D text, which is not what I'm reading then go with plan 'B'.

For what its worth, I personally almost never use images for this sort of thing and rather I choose to re-create the object with 3D entities for a few reasons...

1. Those images are only going to be visible in a limited number of rendering techniques.  I hardly ever use the standard rendering technique for outgoing files and I'm not sure I ever use the standard rendering technique for CDs.  I very commonly use Vector Views, Technical Illustrations, and Line Drawings, and images would show up in none of those.  I do sometimes use PBR and Ray Traces for outgoing files, but I want something that will be visible in any rendering style.
  2. Even though the images WILL show up in standard renders, ray traces, PBR, etc.  they aren't super effective and can be rather problematic in my experience if you want to use them on a transparent surface and realistically see both the front and the back of that surface.
  3. I find that objects created out of 3D components also render a lot more realistically as well.  Lettering edges are sharper and can be raised or recessed without having to create complex texture maps, and there's also no pixelation or perspective skew that we often see with imported images.