Gaps in Boxed eaves and between double fascias

Michael_Gia

Hi again,

What controls the boxed eave construction?

I created a double fascia by adding a shadow board.

Now my boxed eave doesn't come all the way down leaving a gap.

Also there is a space between the fascia and shadow board.

How can I close this up?

412580262_Screenshot2019-04-1914_50_26.thumb.png.a70ef18475dd80f22682a083d90d545d.png

Michael, I'm a long ways from being an expert or knowing exactly what to do, but what I did do was change the width of your fascia board to 7 1/4".  It seem to fix the gap ok, and I didn't see any negative reaction.  See if that is what you are looking for.

I was trying to save the plan and send it back to you but not sure why I can't?

Fascia question.png

Fascia question 1.png

Yeah, I was able to close the gap between the Shadow board and the fascia as well by changing the vertical offset to 5.5". 

I had mistakenly set it at 6.25" for some reason.

The boxed eave gap on the front gables is still a mystery.

I've tried quite a few setting changes with no success.

I can always slap a p-solid on them, no big deal, but I'd like to understand if these boxed eaves are controlled somewhere.

If I do that then I loose my double fascia on the front of the gables.

I can't seem to get the double fascia and a nicely closed up boxed eave on the front.

P-solids to the rescue.

Unless there's a smarter way to use a frieze instead?  Maybe reverse the order of the shadow board?  That is, a shadow board and offset it to act as the fascia.

7 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Good luck, let us know how you solve it.

Hey thanks for the exploratory video. That’s right the gap I’m trying to fill is the front boxed eaves on those gables. 

I don’t have a problem with closing them and maintaining the double facia on the front of the Gables but then I lose the double facia on the side just adjacent to those boxed eves. 

You did make me rethink how I’m using the shadow board. If you notice I have it set back with a negative value. That’s because this is how we build them up here in Montreal.   When we build a double facia we always leave the main facia where it is as it comes in from the truss manufacturer and then we tack on a second 2 x 6 to the back of that facia.

This is why I have my shadow board behind the facia in Chief Architect   

10 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Hey thanks for the exploratory video. That’s right the gap I’m trying to fill is the front boxed eaves on those gables. 

I don’t have a problem with closing them and maintaining the double facia on the front of the Gables but then I lose the double facia on the side just adjacent to those boxed eves. 

You did make me rethink how I’m using the shadow board. If you notice I have it set back with a negative value. That’s because this is how we build them up here in Montreal.   When we build a double facia we always leave the main facia where it is as it comes in from the truss manufacturer and then we tack on a second 2 x 6 to the back of that facia.

This is why I have my shadow board behind the facia in Chief Architect   

VERY interesting, thanks for clarifying that. If the shadow board is in the front and set to both eave and gable, zero offsets, it will wrap around that lower portion of the box and give you your double fascia there, if that's the look you're after?

SHADOW BOARD 4.png

Perfect!  Thanks a million.

I guess I’ll simply set the roof overhang back the thickness of the shadow board so that the dimensions to the front of the shadow board indicates my desired overhang. 

Credit to Chief for even having this many features attached to a roof.